10.5.11

*Review* : Montacute House - Lucy Jago

Book review of Montacute House - Lucy Jago
Montacute HouseMontacute House
Series - No
Released : 3rd May 2011
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Format : Paperback
Source :  Bloomsbury (Thank you)
Finished : 3rd May 2011
Overall rating -
Photobucket
At first a boy’s body is discovered, then John, Cess’s best friend, disappears . . . What is the mystery behind these sinister events?
Cess works caring for the chickens at Montacute House but on her thirteenth birthday everything changes. She finds a precious locket hidden in the chicken coop and is convinced someone has placed it there for her to find. But the day is overshadowed by fear as a boy’s body is found by the river, and then John disappears. Cess is determined to find him but is soon embroiled in a plot that threatens her world and forces her to draw on powers she never knew she possessed, powers that will place her life in danger if they are discovered by the villagers. Witchcraft, politics and religious ambition combine in this gripping and wonderfully realised novel set in the Somerset of the 1500s.

l work hard to make my reviews non spoiler reviews. Please email/comment me if you feel a review has a spoiler in it and you haven't been warned.
~
When l was sent this l was really unsure as to whether it would be able to grab my attention. The main and only reason l thought l may not enjoy this book is because l don’t read historical books. The last historical book l tried l sadly wasn't interested in as too much detail was being put about the period in which the book is based. Montacute House was a nice surprise and is an example of why l try to give every book a go, even different sorts of books or books l wouldn’t usually read. 

I think there are two main reasons l loved this book. The first is because Lucy had a great way of integrating the story line, the characters and the history into this book. At no point did l feel bored by the history because Lucy didn’t just place a random paragraph describing about the period which Cess was living in. Instead she made the whole book flow with information where you needed it but not in a way it was like a history lesson.

The second reason is because of the gripping plot with intriguing characters. I loved how Lucy introduces Cess in a way that makes you want to be there for Cess and rescue her from her life. The mystery is also introduced to this book really quickly and you are kept guessing throughout the book on a number of things. It really is a book which is near impossible to be bored by, there is nearly always something going on which makes you want to read quicker to find out.

The only thing l will say is the romance in this book seemed a bit undeveloped and out of nowhere in a way, l could kind of see it happening but it seemed really out of place in a book which is built around mystery. It felt like it was added for the wrong reasons whereas l would have loved this book without the romance.

Overall this is a great book full of mystery, friendship and history. If you love historical YA books then this is one you won’t want to miss. If historical books aren’t your thing or you’re not too sure about them then this is a book l would still definitely give a go, you will be gripped before you know it!
~
Ratings :
Plot : 4.5/5
Cover : 3/5
Page Turner : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Ending : 4/5
******************************************
2011 Books Challenges 
None
******************************************
Buy your copy
Amazon (UK)
Links

10 comments:

  1. I really want this one, I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good! =)
    Hope you get to read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Montacue House (or, uh, The Coven's Daughter in the U.S.), too! I totally agree that the plot was gripping--those last few chapters made the book almost impossible to put down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this. It sounds very interesting. I like historical books. It is annoying when romance is just thrown in there - not all YA books need romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review!

    I'm a big YA historical fiction girl, so it's nice to discover a new read that could potentially blow me away. And I feel like, after reading your review, that will be the case.

    I'm incredibly excited! Can't wait to track this one down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds awesome and I'm so glad I've now got the chance to read this one myself :) Great review Jodie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. It sounds exactly like my kind of book. I do like historical books and I don't mind it when we get paragraphs of history, but I much prefer when it's done like how you describe here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this one and am pretty picky with my historical YA books, but this one sounds like a good one to add to my wishlist. It's too bad that the romance was undeveloped though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments everyone!
    Hope everyone who hasn't read it gets a chance too =)

    Lauren - I agree! l actually couldn't put it down!

    Small Review - l remember seeing in a post you mentioned you enjoy historical YA and thought of you when l did this review =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you liked it! There are lots more historicals like this one that don't have boring historical description. I felt the same about the romance as it seemed a bit as though it had just been thrown in there because it's a YA book. Although, in my interview with Lucy Jago she did mention she'd like to do a sequel so the romance might be more developed if she goes ahead with it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult