6.5.11

Discussion Post - Reasons We Love Our Libraries!

Last week l set up two discussion forms for anyone who had the time to fill one out. One was for people who DO go to their library and one was for people who DON'T. This week l am going to focus on the people who DO go to the library. There is two parts to the people who do go to their library and maybe be 2 for people who don't (could be one though)
As l am one of the those who do l will also write about my thoughts and feeling as well as what everyone else said.
I was unsure on how to set this discussion up so l have put it under the 'sub-titles' of what the questions were on the form.


PART 1(1/4)
Your favourite part about going to the library?

For free?!?!
Seriously, lets be honest. How many places in this world can you get things for free? And not just anything for free but entrainment in the best form?
While l am not working and don't have very much spare cash it's hard for me to be able to buy books. By having my local library, although it's not huge, it definitely has enough books to last me!

Mia - There's so many books that you can read and borrow. Plus, you don't need to buy them LOL

Limit
Choose? Why choose, just get them all out!
I wouldn't really call being able to have around 10 books out as a limit. Even if you read a book everyday then you still only need to go to the library every 10 days. 

Booketta said - We can take out up to 15 books for a loan period of 3 weeks

Browsing
I love a little browse and what a great place is the library to do so. Of course you can also do this in a book shop but browse and pick, for free? I don't think you will find a place like the library in that case ;)

Littlepinkstars44 said - I like looking through the shelves and seeing what new books they have in that week.

Small Review said - I love browsing the shelves and finding new books I've never heard about before.

Kelly said - I love being able to browse and getting recommendations from people who know me.

Not Just Books!
Of course, the library isn't just all about books. You can also get music and DVD's from the library for a small fee. I love this as the library near me is only £2 to have a dvd for 2 weeks which is really good! I would definitely use this feature if l didn't use lovefilm.

Booketta said - The central library stocks music and DVD's which can be collected locally

People
"l really recommend this..." 
A simple question which could probably keep you in the library talking to someone for hours about books. When else would this seriously happen? I don't know many other places where strangers could talk at such ease for so long. This is a reason l truly love my library, admittedly l have only spoke to around 4 different people but every person l have spoke to is so kind. The librarians are lovely and really made my nephews experience at the library fun as well as help me find a book when l can't myself!

Michelle said - The friendliness of the staff (is my favourite thing)

Variety 
Where else better than a library to find all different sorts of books from Romance to Horror? I love going to my library and looking at the different books. I even sometimes wander over to the horror section just to have a look. When you can read a book for free then it is definitely the perfect place to go and experiment. By experimenting you can find new authors which you probably wouldn't try if it mean't paying £6 but when it's for free, it's easier to be able to experiment. 

Cherie said - Discovering new books/authors.

Khadija said - Another thing I love is that there is no shortage of subjects to catch my interest. I'm an extreamly diverse reader and sometimes I get books that are YA, poetry, biographies, art, history, religion, etc. etc. all in one visit. 
---.---.---.---.---.---.---.---.---
I had to include this, l think we all agree ;)
Moonstar said- I love that there are books all over the place :D It`s like a holy place 

And how lovely it is to hear this? Isn't this just a perfect place ;)

Kelly said -  I still go there; it's a great library with a fantastic selection, an awesome staff, a friendly environment, etc


Do you find your library makes you read books you may not usually read?
Littlepinkstars44 said -  I think that being a member of a library allows to venture into new genres which you aren't too sure about yet, without the expense of having to part with your hard earned cash for a book you won't know if you like.
.
Cherie said -  Cover art on the library shelves has quite often drawn me in to find something fabulous.
.
Kelly said - With library books, I am more willing to try new authors, subjects, genres, etc

Thank you -
Littlepinkstars44 - Belle Books
Danni 
Small Review - Small Review

Come back next week when l carry on the discussion of why we love our libraries!

11 comments:

  1. I don't have a decent library local to me seems as I live in a really small town and always miss the feeling of going to a library like I did when I was younger. I think libraries are a great place to spark a love for reading from an early age can't wait for the next part of this discussion! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post. I love how you have gathered opinions for a lot of readers and library goers.

    My local library isn't really that great. It always makes me sad, especially when I compare it to other libraries that offer a lot more for their community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love libraries but my local library isn't that big and I often ened up having to order books in because most of the time they don't have anything that catched my eye that I haven't read before. I used it more when I was younger and looked forward to the weekly library visit after school. Although, I use my school library a lot more now because my librarian is lovely and gets in books that I've requested often. I'm looking forward to the next part of the discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great discussion, I loved taking in part in that. I am a massive library geek and I'm proud of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! I've loved my local library since I first learned to read! So much so that I ended up volunteering there for seven years (this year will be my last year, sniff)! Libraries are great places to discover new books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to my library this week for the first time in ages. They didn't have much on the shelves but I had ordered a couple and found one there that I wanted to read. I think I could possibly become addicted ...

    Great post. I really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My library is terrible it doesnt order in new book at all. The last book i got out hadnt been check out for 3 years before i had. It just terrible. No i will stick to buying books

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great dicussion! It turned out better than I expected! I love taking part in it... I'm definetly going to be a part of any future ones too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.booksforcompany.com/2013/05/totally-random-tour-dream-film-casts.html?showComment=1451287132941#c817061675223305484

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult