26.5.11

*Review* : Bitter End - Jennifer Brown

Book review of Bitter End by Jennifer Brown
Bitter EndBitter End
Series : No

Released : 10th May 2011
Publisher: Little Brown
Format : Hardback
Source : Little Brown - Thank you so so much
Finished : 26th May 2
011
Overall rating -
Photobucket

When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole, a handsome, funny, sports star who adores her, she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate-someone who truly understands her and loves her for who she really is.
At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her best friends, Zack and Bethany, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all of her time with another boy? But as the months pass, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put-downs, pinches, or increasingly violent threats. As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose - between her "true love" and herself.


I was beyond excited to read this, it went straight to the top of my TBR and l danced around the room when it came in the post. Lets just say it did NOT let me down.

This isn’t just a book where l was the reader and they were the characters which l was reading about. The characters became me, the characters became my friends and the characters became real.

Alex is a very likable character who you are given a lot of time with at the beginning to get to know her, her daily routines, her family, her friends and her feelings. I think this is why l got so attached to her and started to see her as a friend. When she meets Cole l was happy for her, although l kind of knew what was coming from the blurb, l thought he seemed like a great guy. Throughout the book l understood Alex, although at some points how she was with her friends got to me, with how Cole is and how he acts l felt like l could understand Alex’s belief in him.
Alex’s friends, Bethany and Zack, are the sort of friends which everyone wants. They have known each other for a long time, feel comfortable together and can tell each other everything. By starting the book off slowly, as the reader, l got to see their friendship and l really felt Jennifer definitely did the right thing by having a slow start. What made the beginning even better was because of how Jennifer wrote the book, although not a lot was really happening l was still gripped. Maybe it was because of how the book flows so well, maybe it was because l found myself falling in love with the characters or just generally because every page engrossed me that little bit more.
With such a tricky subject Jennifer really had to write this book with a lot of empathy and feelings for Alex as she could. Jennifer seemed to go beyond just making up at character, at some points l wanted to jumped into the book and help Alex because of how Jennifer really made Alex a true person with real feelings. Jennifer made this book and has a great talent which l cannot fault.
Overall Bitter End is a must read YA book which is one of those very special books that makes you feel many different emotions from despair to empathy to delight. I didn’t just see through Alex’s eyes, l was there with her. 


******************************************
Ratings :
Plot : 4.5/5
Cover : 4.5/5
Page Turner : 5/5
Characters : 5/5
Ending : 5/5
******************************************
Series -
-
2011 Books Challenges 
-
******************************************
Buy your copy
Amazon (UK/USA)


12 comments:

  1. Aww this sounds so good! I love when you can put yourself into a book and it just feels so real. Usually slow starts can be iffy but it sounds like it really worked to establish the relationships. I'm curious as to how it ends, hopefully on a good note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unsure if I wanted to read this one, but after reading your review I am for sure buying it and starting is as soon as possible! I love that you understood Alex and that you wanted to help her, Jennifer sounds like an amazing author!
    Thanks so much for this review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really great things about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments =)

    Laura - Me too, l think the books you can put yourself into are the best sort of books =) I do hope you enjoy it!

    Katie - Yay, l am glad as l think you would enjoy it. Really touching story and Jennifer is an amazing author, l can not wait to read Hate List.

    Bookish Brunette - All the reviews l have seen are positive and it definitely deserves it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds amazing Jodie and I can't wait to read it. I think I'd better make sure I have a box of tissues handy. It sounds like it's going to be a tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Characters really make a book for me - I have to be able to feel them, just like you described here. Looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the amazing review Jodie ;) ! I really can't wait to read this book and I'm glad you liked it that much ! I didn't know this book was part of a series, if it was that good that's probably a good thing =) !Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to here the book is good! I just ordered it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( I'm not meant to be buying any more books! Stop making me want more!

    Okay, this was a really good review and I need to read this book. It sounds a lot like Stay by Deb Caletti which I just finished and loved so I'll probably give this one a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen - Most definitely! Quite a hard read at times.

    Baggins - l couldn't agree more.

    Elodie - Thank you so much for your kind works! =)Sorry, it's not part of a series! I put it wrogn and have changed it now =) I usually have a list of series it's in but because it's not l put a '-' but didn't change the wording.

    Savy - Enjoy!!!

    Kate - Haha l am sorry Kate! It did remind me of Stay but this is a much harder book to read. Enjoy =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES! I have this one on my TBR too! I need to get my hands on it. Can't wait to meet Alex and her friends. I'm glad to know she has them to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds wonderful posting.. Like it..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult