7.7.11

*Review* : Amy and Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson

Book review of Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Series : No
Released : 7th July 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster 
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher (Thank you)
Finished : 26th June 2011
Overall rating
Photobucket

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

I picked Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour up before going on holiday with the idea that it would be perfect for a holiday read. I have to admit, l didn’t read it on holiday, I just didn’t get time! BUT this is the perfect summer read and l recommend it to everyone.
While this book is in some places a very light hearted book with sweet scenes it also have a serious side. Amy’s grief for losing her dad is very present throughout this book and is a very real and raw emotion, l found that although this book is obviously about an ‘epic detour’ it is also a journey with Amy and her grief. I liked this side of the book and felt it influenced a lot of what happened in the book while at the same time not interfering with other parts of the book. I think Morgan definitely got the correct balance.
Roger is a great character for this book and l liked how he also has his own things which he is trying to deal with throughout this book and how he comes to deal with these. By making Amy and Roger separate characters who have their own things going it gave me the chance to get to know both Roger and Amy as individuals before getting to know them as a ‘pair’ who are on a journey together. I loved seeing them interact with each other and see how their actions affected each other.
I love how Morgan added the playlists and also the pictures, this really made me feel closer to both Amy and Roger throughout the book and were a sweet little extra in the book. 

Overall Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour is definitely an epic summer read which is written in a beautiful way making it the perfect book to pick up if you want adventure, cuteness, sun, laughs, romance but while also keeping everything real by showing that life isn’t all laughs. You will struggle not to fall for Roger’s charms and Amy’s cry for closure.

******************************************
Ratings :
Plot : 4/5
Cover : 4.5/5
Page Turner : 5/5
Characters : 5/5
Ending : 5/5
******************************************
Series -
No
2011 Books Challenges -
No
******************************************
Buy your copy
Amazon (UK/USA)

4 comments:

  1. Nice review :) I wanted to read this book since I first heard about it, and I still do now. I hope I'll get a chance to do it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just reviewed this one, too. I adored it! It's one of my favorites now. I'm glad you liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one that I really want to read!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book too. One of my faves!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult