4.9.11

*Review* : The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater

No IMM today and sorry for lack of post yesterday, wasn't feeling too great!
The Scorpio RacesThe Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater
Series :  No
Released : 6th October 2011
Publisher: Scholastic
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)|Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket


 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. 
Some riders live. 
Others die. 
At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them. 
Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

 .................................... My Thoughts  ....................................
After I read ‘The Wolves Of Mercy Falls’ series which I fell in love with I knew that I was going to be a big fan of Maggie for a long time and always read her books. When I heard about The Scorpio Races I couldn’t wait to read it even though I am not into horses and wouldn’t usually read a book with horses in. My first thought when reading the blurb were how unique this book sounded and certainty that Maggie could pull this off and make me believe. Maggie didn’t let me down. I believed everything which Maggie wrote in this book and I am left feeling like I was part of a magical event.
When I started to read this book for some reason I thought Puck was a boy so when I realised she wasn’t I then realised I had been getting Puck and Sean confused. When I had it all cleared up in my head I was able to enjoy the book much more without getting as confused. I really warmed to both Puck and Sean, I felt Maggie created two main characters that the readers would either be able to relate to or feel sorry for and I definitely felt sorry for them.
I liked the relationships in this book and because of how mysterious Sean felt (which I loved!) I never quite knew what was going on between Puck and Sean, this was another thing which kept me gripped to this book. Also I felt because Maggie did this book from both Puck’s and Sean’s point of view I was able to get to know them both through each other’s eyes and their own.
While reading this book I felt Maggie had everything so clear in her head it made it so much easier for me to see it clearly in mine and along with the descriptions Maggie wrote I was rarely confused and never disinterested. I loved this as it helped me believe in what I was reading. I felt if I didn’t believe in what Maggie was writing (the characters and the storyline) then it would have completely ruined this book but because I truly believed I was able to get dragged into the world which Maggie had created.
Because this story was just so unique I could never predict where Maggie was going to go either with the characters or the storyline and I really enjoyed this. If I am honest it’s quite rare that you actually have no idea where the story is going. The further I got into the book I found myself never being disappointed, just more engrossed!
Over-all Scorpio Races is a book you will not be disappointed with nor will you ever come across a book like it. Maggie has created a unique book based in a normal yet magical town with characters who you straight away fall in love with. Do not give this one a miss.
---------------------------------------------------------
Ratings :
Plot : 5/5
Cover : 4/5
Page Turner : 4.5/5
Characters : 5/5
Ending : 5/5

5 comments:

  1. Great review Jodie! I'm so excited to read this! It's great to see that you don't think that Puck is an annoying FMC. That would be the only reason that I wouldn't enjoy this book, I think.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! I thought Puck was a boy at first as well :P. I loved seeing from both Puck and Sean's point of views - I agree, it gave real insight into both characters! Great review, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome you'll liked it so much. Maggie is a genious and I'll definitely read The Scorpio Races soon. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this for review but been trying to.read it. But sadly its just not for me. Great review though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review and so true - it's unique and magical. Scorpio Races is one of my all time favourite books. Really enjoyed reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult