14.9.11

*Review* : Fury - Elizabeth Miles

Fury (The Fury Trilogy #1)Fury - Elizabeth Miles
Released : 1st September 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Format : Paperback
Source : From Publisher
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)|Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket


 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.
Em and Chase have been chosen.


 .................................... My Thoughts  ....................................
After reading this review a few times I have noticed how I really focus on the negatives in this book when there is positives. Give this one a go, it's a good read and I am predicting you won't want to miss the second in this series.  ;)
When I picked up Fury I had really high hopes for it but sadly I have to say that this didn’t live up to my expectations in a few ways, although I did still enjoy this.
The first disappointment was the characters. Although at some points I did enjoy being in their company and getting to know them better I never felt like I really knew like properly. Chase was my favourite character as I felt like he had more depth than the other characters around him. He is also the sort of character who you can easily feel sorry as well as understand the way he feels and acts throughout the book.  Towards the end of the book I could really see how his experiences had changed him and made him grow into a stronger man. 
The other characters didn't really have anything unique about them or they weren't in the book longer enough for me to feel like I knew them, they seemed a little bit to plain I guess, I just wish they had more to them.
The idea of this book was a unique one but I didn’t feel it was written in a way where it ever became a very strong storyline which I was able to get consumed by. I think everything moved a bit too slow with things never really being revealed until the end so you were therefore left reading with nothing really happening. Maybe if it had been made a bit shorter and certain things cut out then it definitely would have felt like the storyline was a bit more ...busy.
The ending of the book made everything a little more worthwhile as I found it much more faster paced and actually revealed information. I still sadly felt the ending could have been more engrossing. Probably my favourite thing was how I got to know Emily more at the end and feel like she was more ‘real’.
When I put this book down I straight away started to look forward to the second book in this series. I felt like Fury was sort of like an introduction to the series. I just wish it was kind of more rushed.
Over-all Fury is worth a read, most definitely! Even though this book didn’t shine it was still quite a fresh and unique book with a very promising second book in the series.

---------------------------------------------------------
Ratings :
Plot : 3.5/5
Cover : 4.5/5
Page Turner : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Ending : 4/5

6 comments:

  1. I agree, the story dragged at times and the characters seemed like actors on stage than living beings. I enjoyed the mythological aspect though, and I hope that gets further developed in later books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read reviews that loved this books, others that hated it, but it seems like the general consensus is its somewhere in between.

    I think I want to read this one ... but I have several others I'm putting ahead of it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a Marmite book! Some love it, some hate it. Despite the characters you gave it good marks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's definitely a book which some people have loved and others hated.
    I am in between as the ending made it for me and made Emily feel a bit more real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't really like the characters for this one either. But I found that by the end, I could still muster up a significant amount of sympathy for them despite all the horrible things they had done to be chosen by the Furies. Great review, Jodie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only character that I really like was Chase and he wasn't even that good of a guy but he was the most real to me. I didn't really like the book because the mythology was missing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult