11.11.11

*Review* : Cicada By Belle Whittington

CicadaCicada - Belle Whittington
Series : #1 Cicada Trilogy
Released : 14th July 2011
Publisher: Indie Published
Format : Ebook
Source : Author
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)|Smashwords
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
For 17-year-old Blair Reynolds and her friends, being the bearer of secrets is getting really old. But it's something she learns to deal with, because there's no other option. If the people in her small town ever found out what she and her friends discovered in the woods and hid in the storage room, the whole town would be up in arms;literally. You see, folks here don't believe in aliens from outer space. Besides, if they ever found out what two of those aliens did to one of their own, well, let's just say what would follow would be all out war.
As the months unfold, their summer becomes consumed with secrets, puzzle pieces that don't quite fit together, and a fight for their lives that leaves one of them at death's door.


 .................................... My Thoughts .................................... 
In Short
- Cicada had a new and unique paranormal creature
- I enjoyed Belle's writing
- The main characters were well developed
- I felt the romance wasn't necessary
- This is an imaginative story

In Long
Cicada has one of those blurbs which doesn’t really give much away so you find yourself starting a book which you don’t really know much about and have no idea where the story might go. I didn’t even really know what paranormal creatures were involved in this.

I did expect some kind of paranormal story but not necessarily the one I got. When I realised what the book was about I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get into it so was relieved when Belle quickly thrown us into the story.

Although you were thrown into the story Belle still created some great characters that were both brave and interesting characters, although I felt like I could have done with more descriptions on how they looked. I did also feel this with the ‘creature’ in this book and felt it spoiled the book in some places because I wasn’t able to build up a picture in my head. The relationships between the characters were something I also struggled with. I felt like the romance was just put in so that there was a romance in the book but I felt it didn’t add much to the storyline and wasn’t necessary.

I really liked how imaginative this story was. It took you to places other books haven’t ever taken me and although I sometimes struggled with using my imagination I really loved being challenged by Belle. At times I did feel that I needed a more in depth description on what this creature was but throughout the story more detail was added and I was able to get a picture in my mind.

-
Final Thoughts
Belle is a great writer with an amazing imagination. I would definitely recommend giving this book a go and would also suggest reading any other books she may bring out. Although I didn’t LOVE Cicada I can see I would love another book by her because Belle’s writing is great! That is shown with how Belle’s writing enabled me to enjoy Cicada, a sort of book I probably wouldn’t usually enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It always so hard to find books about new paranormal beings, Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving these books coming out at the moment with different paranormal being in them. Makes a nice change. I really fancy this one - the writing sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult