9.8.11

*Review* : Rockaholic C.J. Skuse

Released : 7th March 2011
Publisher: Chicken House
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)|Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket

Jody loves Jackson Gatlin. At his only UK rock concert, she’s right at the front. But when she's caught in the crush and carried back stage she has more than concussion to contend with. Throw in a menacing manager, a super-wired super-star, and a curly-wurly, and she finds herself taking home more than just a poster. It’s the accidental kidnapping of the decade. But what happens if you’ve a rock-god in your garage who doesn’t want to leave? Jody’s stuck between a rock-idol and a hard place!
From the pen of C.J. Skuse, author of last year’s super cool debut Pretty Bad Things, comes a tale of rock star obsession gone nuts. Hilariously and sharply explores the fantasy and reality of celebrity obsession through a teenager’s eyes. C. J. Skuse has been billed as the new Nick Hornby for teens.

I picked up Rockaholic having heard a lot about it from my fellow UK Book Bloggers about how funny it was and at the time, that was just what I wanted! I have to admit I do hardly laugh at books, even when they are funny and I find it funny I don’t actually LOL I just have a little giggle inside! Well Rockaholic did make me LOL, not as much as I hoped as half way through things turned a bit more serious but at the beginning I was giggling quite a lot.

Rockaholic has quite a few different sides to it. For example at the beginning Rockaholic is a very light hearted read with a lot of funny moments in but as the book gets further in things begin to get a bit more serious in a few ways. I really enjoyed both sides of this book and felt they fitted well together, although I will say I do wish C.J. had included a bit more of her great humour further into the book when the book seemed to slow down. At some points it felt not much was really happening and I did feel certain chapters weren’t really ‘required.’

The plot is great, yes sometimes it’s very far retched and I wouldn’t recommend picking up this book if you can’t ‘let yourself go’ and see past that but it’s very imaginative. To me it felt like C.J. had this small little idea and things quickly grew from there. I loved this and felt it really added to the humour of this book. Amongst this the serious side of the story brought everything back ‘down to earth’ and while I felt the things which this book deals with are important I wished at times there was more funny parts further in.

The characters, especially Jody, are all great! They all added to the book in a special way and contributed to how things turned out. I liked how some of the things in the plot seemed to change the characters themselves, especially the rockstar, Jackson. Jody reminded me of myself sometimes and not just because we have the same name! I loved her ‘blondness’ it was just perfect for this book and her voice throughout the book made her a very strong and real character to me.

Overall Rockaholic is a great book which is both a light heart read which will have you laughing out loud to also dealing with more serious things and showing the consequence of certain things such as fame. I definitely recommend reading this, even if you weren't sure about Pretty Bad Things as Rockaholic is very different!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ratings :
Plot : 4/5
Cover : 4/5
Page Turner : 3.5/5
Characters : 4/5
Ending : 4/5
-----------------------------------------------------------
Find C.J. - 

7 comments:

  1. I really liked this one! Definitely made me giggle too - plus I thought the whole concept was just wackily hilarious. Glad you enjoyed it :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love this book. I picked it up at 11 at night and it kept me hooked. I was up till 5 that night reading it. I finished it and it made me cry honestly. Being a teenager with celebrity crushes myself i can really relate to it, and i love the plot twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know why but this book was just really boring for me. i didn't find it funny and the characters seemed 2d.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult