11.6.11

Review : The Iron King - Julie Kagawa

Book Review of The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1)The Iron King
Series : #1 Iron Fey
Released : 1st February 2010
Publisher: Mira Ink
Format : Paperback
Source : Gift (Thanks Lindsey)
Finished : 10th June 2011

Overall rating

Photobucket

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
The Iron King was one of those books which l picked up due to so many positive reviews. Before l got into blogging l would never have picked it up due to it having fairies, trolls and many other creatures. I am now slowly starting to enjoy these sort of books, although books which are too fairytale like are still a bit too much for me.
Iron King has a good balance between fairytale and also keeping the storyline ‘real’ with the relationships in this book as well as the main character, Meghan, who l really like. I felt for Meghan for a few reasons, including that her father had suddenly gone missing; this book shows throughout it how much this has affected Meghan. I also felt l could relate to her and her school experience, which is not a positive one.
This book is a very creative one and l felt like Julie pulled lots of ideas from young children’s minds and added them into this book. It was truly a unique, full of adventure book where you encounter both good and evil creatures with many different ‘powers’ and along this journey get to know Meghan more as well as three other characters.
I have to admit, l don’t have a very creative mind, hence why l don’t really read these sort of books. Because of this l did sometimes struggle to imagine what the creatures where looking like which l felt meant l struggled to get as into some scenes as l would like and didn’t really ‘lose myself’ in the different worlds.
Overall The Iron King is a captivating read in which you meet creatures you will have never meant before. After starting with a very quick pace l was wondering if The Iron King could keep this up throughout the book but it actually got faster paced! Meghan was constantly discovering new things meaning l, as the reader, was also discovering new things with her. 
******************************************
Ratings :
Plot : 4.5/5
Cover : 4/5
Page Turner : 4.5/5
Characters : 4.5/5
Ending : 4.5/5
******************************************
Series -
The Iron King #1
They also have two short ebooks which go between 1  & 2 and 3 & 4

2011 Books Challenges -
******************************************
Buy your copy
Amazon (UK/USA)

12 comments:

  1. Great review !! I look forward to start reading this series .. I love faeries and I'm very eager to meet these characters !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you loved this one! It's one of my favorites! I'm hoping you'll love the sequel better! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book.... but I haven't read the other two!!!... Hope you read them and love them too...
    : ) Great review!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Glad you like this book! The series get even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Review, I loved the Iron King. I'm happy you enjoyed it too!:)

    Here's my review:

    http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-iron-king.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked this, I absolutely adored The Iron King! I love the entire series and can't wait until The Iron Knight is released. Thanks for the review, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got this one from the library and can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, if I hadn't started blogging, I would never have put The Iron King on my wishlist. It's not that I don't like fairies but I'm not a fan of the cover. Someday, I'll actually get around to starting the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like it! I can't believe you haven't started book 2 though...I had to have it straight away. :) Donna
    P.S Don't you just love Ash! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you liked it. In my opinion the series gets better and better with each book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy you liked it! Book three is so full of win. I can't wait to see what you think of it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult