14.6.11

Interview with Mary Hooper, author of 'Fallen Grace'

I recently reviewed Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper (click here) and are very happy to have Mary here at Books for Company for an interview!
It's me - Mary Hooper!

Hi Mary!
Thank you for joining us at Books for Company today. I recently finished reading Fallen Grace and have to say it was a brilliant read, l am not a big historical fan but l found Fallen Grace very hard to put down. For people who haven't read Fallen Grace, please tell us a bit about yourself and your books, mainly Fallen Grace.
I have been writing books for about twenty years and have been nominated for the Carnegie medal four times (including for Fallen Grace) but have never had such wonderful reviews in such a variety of newspapers, magazines and blogs (including a great one in the New York Times). Fallen Grace incorporates a whole mix of things: the Victorian funeral trade, shopping in the 1860s, how it was to be poor back then, Charles Dickens, a lost baby, a missing sister and a life-changing inheritance.

Fallen GraceMost of your books are historical fiction. What made you choose historical fiction and do you feel you may ever write something which is based in the ‘current’ time or even in the future?
I actually started off writing "current" books and did this for years and years - until I discovered historical books. Now I would never go back to writing modern stuff; current trends and events don't really interest me and (although I can text!) I know next to nothing about modern technology, which seems to change all the time. Having said that, I do have a website and a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/maryhooperfanpage) as I very much like being in touch with my readers.
 

Do you feel historical books take more research than books based in current time due to having to find more out about the time which you are writing about?
Yes, definitely. But research is, for me, the best part of writing a book. Imagine finding out - as I did when researching the Victorian funeral trade for FALLEN GRACE - that there was actually a steam train which ran from Waterloo to Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey which could take you and your coffin to a first, second or third class burial.


Who if your favourite character in Fallen Grace?
It would have to be Grace. 

What’s the three main things you use or need while writing? 
A computer. A plan. A deadline.

Are you a big fan of reading historical books yourself? 
I love them.


Random!

Night Owl or Early Bird? Early.

Internet shopping or high street shopping? High Street (I'd never get out, otherwise!)

Which country would you most like to visit? Disneyland.

Paperback or Hardback books? Paperback. More accessible.

Thank you to both Mary and Bloomsbury (Emma) for making this interview possible! 

5 comments:

  1. Great interview. I haven't read any of Mary's books yet but I do have Fallen Grace in my tbr pile very near the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview, Jodie! I love reading historical fiction! I find it so fascinating discovering about all the traditions of different places in the world at different points in time! And I have to admit I am rather curious about the Victorian funeral trade now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant interview, Jodie! I met Mary when she came to visit my school and she is very friendly. She is one of my favourite authors and introduced me to historical fiction. Even though you don't usually like historicals, I think you will enjoy Mary's other books because you enjoyed Fallen Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen - I do hope you enjoy it! It's great =)

    Phanee - Thank you so much! It definitely was fascinating, especially with all the stuff about the funeral trade. Loved it!

    Stephaine - Thank you so much! Mary does seem lovely, your lucky to meet her. I am the same, l don't usually read historical books but l loved Fallen Grace =)

    Megan - Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult