28.6.11

First lines - New weekly post!

I mentioned last week how l am taking a break from Paperback vs Hardback and if this new weekly post goes down well l will be swapping between the two. Mainly l will be doing PB vs HB for 2ish months and then First Lines for 2ish months and so on.


What is First Lines?
First lines is a post where l will list two books and type out the first few lines of both the blurb and the first page.
I came to think of this after not being sure whether to buy two books and after reading the first few lines decided to do so. I feel the first lines are so important.

What is the point of First Lines?
Well l hope to help you find new books you may not have heard of or interest you in books you may not have been interested in before.
~
Skin
First few lines of :
Blurb
I think back on things that happened. And I think about how if you were to tell stories about us, about our family, you might raise your eyebrows and you might say, 'Well, no wonder.' I bet you can pinpoint where it started for her. 
Read the rest of the blurb here
Or visit the goodreads page for a different blurb

First Page
These are the things you think when you come home to discover your sister has starved herself to death and you have to drop to your knees to revive her :
1. My sister is flat like a board. There's fat guys in the locker room with bigger books than she has.
2. When l scream my sister's name into her face, l can hear my father's voice in my own.
3. Where is it you're supposed to press? In the middle, on the side? Left or right?

My thoughts :
This blurb doesn't really give much away about the book at all and l found this a big plus and it really worked with this book. I found myself opening the first page and reading the first few lines and wanting to carry on reading.
What do you think about the first page and blurb?

Please note, most of these are typed up by myself so there may be small errors. 
This week l am only doing one book because of having to explain at the top of this post about this new weekly post but next week l will be doing two.


If you don't like this post l won't carry on with it!
PollPub.com VoteWhat do you think of First Lines?
Meh, l won't read them
Ok, l may read them
Love the idea and post!



View Results

Poll powered by PollPub.com Free Polls

5 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    You're right. The blurb does nothing to communicate the intensity, the surrealism, even the dark humour of the first lines.

    I remember reading somewhere that the things which give us our first impressions of a book--the cover art and design and the blurb--are usually things the authors have no control over. And sometimes it's really obvious, aye?

    This is a good case study for your introductory First Lines post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very true!
    The first few lines for this book really draw me in and it's totally different from the blurb.
    I think l need to start judging a book more from the first page rather than the cover and l hope this post will help me do so.
    Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post idea, pls keep posting more first lines;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the idea! I'm looking forward to reading your first lines xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult