9.4.11

*Review* : Fixing Delilah - Sarah Ockler

Book Review of Fixing Delilah - Sarah Ockler
Fixing DelilahReleased : 1st December 2010
Finished : 4th April 2011
Source :  Little Brown (THANK you)
Plot : 4/5
Cover : 4/5
Page Turner : 3.5/5
Characters : 3.5/5
Ending : 4/5
Overall Rating :
Photobucket

Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart.
She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.
Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?
This is one of those really hard reviews to write as my opinion is changing constantly and l am finding it hard to rate. Sometimes l am thinking it should be four stars and other times it should be 3 and a half.
No matter what rating l give it, l really think some people will LOVE this book but for me, l struggled to connect with the romance in this book, l found it quite predictable but l have no other reason for not connecting with it. I just didn’t. I think by not being able to connect with the romance meant l struggled to get into the whole book as that was a lot of what it was based around.
I did like how this book based a lot around relationships and l usually love this but as l just couldn’t connect with a lot of the people, it meant l didn’t enjoy this as much as someone who could connect with the characters. I found Delilah’s mum very mean and just couldn’t see how she could be like that BUT that was a good thing as Sarah is a great writer and can make you feel things about the characters in the book, it’s just a shame l didn’t with the main characters.
I like the meaning behind this book and how things aren't just sudden but happen gradually which makes everything realistic in this book. Sarah is a great writer who l definitely look for in the future, l do love her writing style and my rating on this book has nothing to do with her as a writer. I was actually annoyed with myself for not being able to get into this book as l know a lot of people love it!
Overall l really do recommend this book. It is one of those books that even though l didn’t enjoy it myself, l can see a lot of people really loving this and the characters. 

******************************************
2011 Books Challenges 
None
******************************************
Reviews :
All Just Glass by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Small Review)
XVI - Julia Karr -(Musing Of A YA Reader)
Wither - Lauren DeStanfo (That Book Blog)
.
Check out Sally's answer to :
How Many Books Do You Read At Once?

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just can't connect with certain characters even when others really love them. Just like in real life really. Don't beat yourself up about it though.

    I enjoyed reading your review. Sometimes the books we don't love so much are so hard to review aren't they. You did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad you couldn't connect with the characters and found the romance predictable, Jodie. I've seen some mixed reviews for this one but plan on checking it out since I enjoyed Sarah's Twenty Boy Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - I agree! l just was so excited about this book too!
    Thank you =)

    A Canadian Girl - Yea l think you should definitely check it out and would look forward to your review =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really hope I can find a way to connect with the characters, because the summary of Fixing Delilah sounds awesome to me. Have another Sarah Ockler book on my shelf, Twenty Boy Summer. Going to read that one soon. Have you tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bum deal about the lacking romance. And I agree, I can't understand how a mother could be so hateful. Still, I'm interested in checking this one out.

    Thanks for the review Jodie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult