8.4.11

Discussion Post - 'How Many At Once'


I know a lot of you said you like my thoughts and then everyone else's but l found this one hard to decide how to arrange it! 
~
So around 2 weeks ago l asked you all to fill out a discussion form to let me know if you are a person who likes to read one book at a time or a few at a time. 

My thoughts
I myself can only read one at once because l am terrible for getting books confused, even when l have finished a book and start a new one l still get them confused! 
Once l was writing a review for a book and realise for half the review l had spoke about a totally different book! You may think this is because the book must of not been that great but it was actually just because l get confused rather easily. 
The only time l tend to more than one book is when l can't get into a certain book but would like to give it a second chance, l find it is good to pick it down, read another book and then pick it back up. Although l do find that half the time l don't pick it back up again.
Either way, l can see both advantages and disadvantages and would love to be able to read more than one at once!

Advantages 
(Of reading more than one book at one time)

Meeting Deadlines
Sometimes we may have books which need to be reviewed which means we need to read two at once to make sure a review is up before a deadline. By reading two books at once it can mean you get the review done on time but also that you can read a book your desperate to read. 

Like Yiota from Splash Of Our Worlds said - There are times that i read a book i picked up, but at the same period i have to post a review or read a book before its deadline. Those times, i stop and pick the one that is on the schedule. 

Not having to wait
You know the book which is just sitting there and watching you? The one you are dying to read? Well by reading two at once it means not having to neglect the one you were already reading but also being able to read the book you have been waiting for!

Kate from That Book Blog said - I may also read multiple books at one time if I've just gotten a few new books I can't wait to read, then I can't resist the temptation

Different Genres
By reading two books at once it means you could be reading a horror book and a romance book at once. This can mean you don't really get confused because they are so different but that you are getting to read both the types of books you like. 

Yiota said - (I) read books which their story has many similarities so i'm getting bored easily or compare too much. At that times, i just stop in the middle and pick another book to finish before i go on. 

Jackie from Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories said - Usually in different genres, because of over saturation of Paranormals in my book shelves I have found if grab a free e-read and one of my contemporary or historical romances or a YA book it grabs my attention back to one specific book until done...


Different Times Of The Day
Reading a few different books at once can be perfect for people who read at different times of the day. 
Lisa said -  As I always read at least two books, one at work, one at home, and often one in the car, I've never had a problem with it.

Sally from Always Lost In Stories said - 1) Book for home (heavy or kindle)
2) Book to read while at work
3) Audiobook

Having a break
As l said, sometimes you may find you just can't get into a book even though you really want to enjoy it. Sometimes by just putting it down and having a break and then picking it up again can mean you will enjoy it. 

Karen from The Slowest Bookworm said - There may be times when i'm struggling with a book and I put it down for a while and read another book inbetween.

Amber from Books Of Amber said - If I can't get into a book, then I put it down ready to pick it up another day. Sometimes this "other day" could be months away.

E books
If you have an e reader you can take this out with you instead of having to take a book which can mean you may be reading one on your e reader and one PB. On the other hand if your reading e books on the computer and can't take it with you, you may need to be reading two so you can take a book out with you. 

Small Review from Small Review said - I prefer reading one book at a time, but now that I get e-books I'm often reading two (one e-book, one paper book). I don't have an e-reader, so I can't take that book with me when I leave the house. 

Sally said -  If it is a heavy hardback book or a book on my kindle, I don't want to carry this backwards and forwards between home and work so I have a small, light paperback for work.

Jackie from Book n Tea Said - I'm reading two on my e-reader, and I'm reading one hardback book.

Disadvantages 
(Of reading more than one book at one time)

Confusing
Sometimes it can be really confusing reading two books, well for me anyone! If the books are the same genre or have characters with the same name, any of these things may make it confusing to read both. 

Jessica from Jess Hearts Books said - I find sometimes the stories get muddled up in my head so I personally get a better experience reading one book at a time.

Karen said - I get totally confused if I have more than one on the go.  I'm expecting characters to turn up in stories they're not in and I get plotlines mixed up

Sally said - I have to make sure that all the books are a bit different, eg. I couldn't read 2 werewolf books at once or anything too similar. I would get confused if the books had the same main character's name.

Theresa from Fade Into Fantasy said - I tend to read only one at a time and just go back to the first one AFTER I finish the second one.

Having a break 
This can also be a disadvantage! If you put a book down to read another then things will be forgotten about the previous book while you are reading another. Again, this is basically like confusion and you find yourself rereading two chapters to remember!

Enjoyment
For some people, like me, l just don't get proper self-fulfilment from a book which l haven't been able to devote all my proper attention too. I like to be able to connect with the characters and remember the story line clearly without having anything else on my mind. 


Jessica said -  I feel that if your enjoying a book why would you want to put it down to read something else?

-------------------------------
This is quite strange as its quite clear that there is more advantages but yet l never read more than one book?! Lol l think being honest the whole confusion and not being able to give all your attention to it is a big thing for me!


Thank you
Small Review - Small Review
Jackie - Books N Tea

NEXT DISCUSSION -
The Next discussion is on 
What do you do with read books?
To fill out the form and take part in next weeks discussion please fill out
THIS FORM
Thanks SO much!! l got 9 responses which will be enough. THANKS =)

8 comments:

  1. Really interesting post. I still don't understand how some people read more than one at a time though. I agree with you that it's just too confusing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the ways you format these posts. It's so nice to see all different viewpoints in one place.

    I haven't had trouble keeping track of two different books I'm reading at the same time, but that's because I usually try to pick very different genres when I read two at once. I think I would be completely confused if the genres were similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Small said above. I don't confuse them for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a tendency to always read at least two books at the same time (unless there's a book that's super awesome in which case it gets all my attention). I don't have a problem keeping track of the stories or where I am within each book even if they're the same genres.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually read only one unless deadlines get in the way.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great discussion post- it's really interesting to see everyone's different responses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your comments everyone and adding your thoughts =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading about everyone's opinions!

    I used to never read more than one book at a time. It was too confusing and I didn't like to mix worlds and be less invested. But now that I have an e-reader, I often am reading at least two books at once--one in print, and one digital. Sometimes, I have to stop to read something for a blog schedule. Some books, such as Terry Goodkind, are *long.* I'm reading them slowly b/w other books that I'll finish faster!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult