17.1.12

*Review* : As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott

As I Wake   As I Wake - Elizabeth Scott
Series : No
Released : 15th September 2011
Publisher :  Dutton Juvenile
Format : Hardback
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)|Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
Ava is welcomed home from the hospital by a doting mother, lively friends, and a crush finally beginning to show interest. There's only one problem: Ava can't remember any of them - and can't shake the eerie feeling that she's not who they say she is.
Ava struggles to break through her amnesiac haze as she goes through the motions of high-school life, but the memories that surface take place in a very different world, where Ava and familiar-faced friends are under constant scrutiny and no one can be trusted. Ava doesn't know what to make of these visions, or of the boy who is at the center of them all, until he reappears in her life and offers answers . . . but only in exchange for her trust.



 .................................... My Thoughs  ....................................
In Short 
- Elizabeth has written this book in a very simple way. There aren’t really any complex sentences. At the beginning I actually thought it was poetry.
- This book isn’t easy on the brain – You will constantly be left wondering by Elizabeth.
- This is a totally unique book with its own twist. You may love it, you may hate it.
- Everything is kind of everywhere in this book.
- This book is guaranteed to bring out many di
fferent feeling for you. You won’t know what to think!

In Long
‘As I Wake’ is one of those books where throughout the book you are wondering if you’re meant to understand it yet or not. I always find myself worrying, as I am blonde, I sometimes don’t understand what is going on in a book when I should. This didn’t ruin the book as such because I could sense that Elizabeth was slowly giving hints and could feel it all coming together but I did sometimes feel a bit impatient and want to know what was going on.

With a book that leaves you hanging on for so long when things are revealed they need to be as good as the leading up to it was. I have read so many books where there is a huge build up and then when it’s revealed it’s a big let down. I never felt this with ‘As I Wake’. Elizabeth revealed everything in a really brilliant way which kept me gripped throughout the book but also when she did reveal what was actually going on I didn’t really disappointed at all!

What I did enjoy about this book is I almost felt like Ava at times, I was on this journey with her and I was learning stuff as she was. I never knew something she didn’t and I was as confused about it as her.

I still don’t know if I fully understand this book and the ending is something which I am still thinking about to try and understand. The more I go through the book in my head the more I think I understand. ‘As I Wake’ is definitely a book which will get you thinking and definitely use your imagination. I like how for quite a lot of the book Elizabeth let the reader interpret the book how they wanted.


Final Thoughts
Overall ‘As I Wake’ will be one of those books where a lot of people will hate it as it just wouldn’t have worked for them, some people won’t hate it but won’t love it and other people will probably fall in love with it. I find myself in the middle, I didn’t find it a truly amazing read but I did found that I enjoyed reading this.

1 comment:

  1. I was exactly the same with this book, I enjoyed it and I thought I understood it whilst reading it but when I came to write my review I started to think I hadn't really understood it at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult