6.1.13

*Review* The Disappeared by C.J. Harper

The DisappearedThe Disappeared - C.J. Harper
Series : Yes (I think so!)
Released : 31st January 2013
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher (Thank you!)
Buy : Amazon Paperback (UK/USA)/Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
In a future where children are segregated into institutions that range from comfortable “Learning Communities” to prison-like “Local Academies”, seventeen-year-old Jackson is an academic high flyer, living in a top Learning Community and destined for a position in the Leadership. But when he is sent with his best friend Wilson to deliver a package to a factory block, the two boys are attacked, leaving Jackson badly beaten and Wilson dead.
Confused and upset, Jackson returns to his Learning Community only to be dismissed by his teachers who claim not to know him. Sent to an Academy, an institute set up to train factory workers, Jackson finds himself immersed in a world that couldn’t be further removed than the comfortable life he’s used to; a harsh, violent, semi-articulate society where the students have created their own hierarchy based on fighting ability.
Using his wits to survive, Jackson starts to realise that his whole life has been based on half-truths. And in order to survive he needs to expose the lies that surround the Academy and find out the truth about who he really is. As he builds alliances and begins to educate those closest to him, a plan for rebellion and escape gradually comes into shape...



 .................................... My Thoughts   ....................................
In Short
- The action starts pretty much from the first chapter.
- There are constantly new twists with lots of action and character building. 
- Harper really pushes some boundaries in this book. 
- I disliked how Jackson felt a lot younger than he was. 

In Long
I haven’t read much dystopia lately and The Disappeared appealed to me so I decided to give it a go! Any doubts were straight away put to the side. I haven’t read a book in ages which gets into the storyline as quickly at The Disappeared. Pretty much within the first chapter the action started and I was able to get into the storyline.
The action didn't slow down throughout the whole book. There were constantly new twists, lots of actions and character building. I was totally wrapped up in this whole new world which Harper had created. I felt throughout the whole book that Harper really had created a new world which is shocking yet was able to feel so real to me. So often I read books I just can’t believe because they are too far-fetched.

It was so refreshing that Harper really pushed some boundaries in this book. Some parts are really violent and which made me a little uncomfortable as the people involved in the violence were the characters I had gained a bond with. I guess for some people this will be a negative but for me it added to the book in a strange but good way.

There’s not much you can dislike about this book. The only thing which I struggled with was the age of the characters. Jackson is 17 but throughout the whole book I struggled with this, I just felt he didn't act like he was 17. He was so strange about things like physical contact with girls when I think most 17 years old are past that stage. Apart from that I can’t actually explain why i just couldn't view him as this 17 year old but the whole book felt less mature than I would have liked.

Final Thoughts
The Disappeared is a real page turner which will engulf you into a new world you would never have considered before but becomes the only world you know.

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult