11.1.11

Review : Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Review : Unearthly - Cynthia Hand
Released : 4th January 2011
Started : 8th January 2010
Finished : 11th January 2010
Plot : 4.5/5
Cover : 4.5/5
Page Turner : 4.5/5
Characters : 5/5
Ending : 5/5

Over-all Rating - 

Photobucket


The Blurb :
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Please note, l took a bit from the blurb away. See it fully here
My Review :
I started this book having seen lots of great reviews on it and can’t remember seeing one bad review. This often makes me nervous about a book because at times books which have a lot of great reviews don’t live up to my expectations. This book did!
More than anything else l love about this book, its unique. Cynthia has come up with her own ideas and made her own little world. Never have l read a book and been interested in the environment which the characters live in. Mostly l am so focused on getting to know the characters l don’t care much for the detail of their surroundings. In this book l did because Cynthia put across the image in my head of what Clara was seeing and l became interested.
This book is very fast paced and l could see it easily being made bigger (and l believe the released book is.. l got the ARC} For example Cynthia skips a whole section which l feel could of had it’s own chapter. I didn’t feel this was a bad thing as it made the book even more engrossing and still gave you a ‘round up’ of what had happened.
I love Clara, she is a lovely character which although with her ‘powers’ she is a very nervous person with not a lot of confidence and l felt sorry for her in some parts of this book. In fact l loved all the characters in this book. They were all developed well and very different from each other. I also loved the relationships in this book, especially the relationship between Clara and her mother.  It was very real, with their ups and downs and her mother trying to look after her/protect her but Clara disliking her mother for doing so.
This book constantly keeps you thinking and throws more things at you. What l loved about this book is how you never knew what Clara was going to do and l felt a lot of the things she did other authors have ‘stopped’ their characters from doing this even though they have hinted to it and the characters have had to choose, they have always chose the other option. (Explained below .. in SPOLIER section)
I really recommend this book to any paranormal lovers, its a great read and well worth the time spent reading it!
SPOLIER below!! (Highlight to read)
**
I felt sorry for Clara and l felt in that situation l wouldn’t know who to choose. Although l liked Tucker more and felt he was a great character.
I thought Clara choosing to tell Tucker is something authors have never chosen for their character and l never expected like she would tell him. I loved this factor, making it not predictable at all!
Thanks HarperTeen/Netgalley!
******************************************
My Next Read : Trickster's Girl - Hilari Bell
~
Other reviews you might like :
Perfect Chemistry - Simone Elkeles (Once Upon A Quote)

A Certain Slant Of Light - Laura Whitcomb (Musing of a YA Reader
~
Please email me with a review if you would like it here {I can't guarantee}
~
Thank you to all my AMAZING followers! Make sure you check out my giveaway.

12 comments:

  1. With all the hype I'm pretty pumped to finish reading this one, instead of turned off, for once. I'll be reviewing this later in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! I'm especially loving your description of Clara and her relationship with her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear that you liked this book. I read an ARC of this book and absolutely loved it too. I totally didn't see some of the twists and turns coming.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Asher - I feel with all the hype around a book it can go either way! Enjoy the bok =)

    @ Aylee - Thanks for reading my review. I actually haven't read a book in a while where a mother and daughter relationship has felt like quite a big part of the book (for me anyway!_

    @ Emi - Me either Emi, l loved the twists in it! =) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This often makes me nervous about a book because at times books which have a lot of great reviews don’t live up to my expectations. <--- yeah me too... just happened with me a week ago. felt bad about not liking it.

    i might try this book (though i hope it's not hardcover)i read this in richelle mead's page that she's recommending this

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're completely right about the surroundings! I cared a lot about the details of the atmosphere in the book than I would in any other book and loved it entirely! Thanks for the Review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Unearthly right now! I'm loving it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Self centred - It's strange how the surroundings grabbed my attention!

    @ Lost in Literature - Glad your enjoying it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Tucker too. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book. I agree that it seemed like some big things were skipped. I also thought the ending left too many questions - even for just a first book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this book yet, but I probably will as I love all things paranormal. ;)

    I found you on Wow but will be staying to follow.
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks both for your comments =)
    Thank you for following Beth! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult