7.1.11

Review ~ Malorie Blackman - Boys Don't Cry

Review - Malorie Blackman - Boys Don't Cry
Released : 28th October 2010 (uk)
Started : 6th January 2010
Finished : 7th January 2010
Plot : 3.5/5
Cover : 4/5
Page Turner : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Ending : 4/5

Over-all Rating -

 Photobucket

The Blurb -
This is the explosively page-turning new novel for teenagers from the author of the award-winning "Noughts and Crosses" sequence. You're about to receive your A-level results and then a future of university and journalism awaits. But the day they're due to arrive your old girlfriend Melanie turns up unexpectedly ...with a baby ...You assume Melanie's helping a friend, until she nips out to buy some essentials, leaving you literally holding the baby ...Malorie's dramatic new novel will keep you on the edge of your seat right to the final page.
My Review -
Ok l want to start this review by saying there isn't anything really terrible with this book, there just isn't anything amazing and at no point was l struggling to put this down. It's just not that sort of book and after the blurb you kind of expect a bit more than what you get! Saying that I am glad l have read this but can't help feeling if l read it a few years back when l was younger (l am 18) then l would of enjoyed this even more.
The writing isn't amazing, its pretty simple and at some points l would say its quite poor with very simple sentences which ruins the communication between two characters. For instance you know when you feel a sentence could be written in such a better way? l felt that many times. Likewise a few things this book deals with would be perfect for someone younger but for me how they were written in the book felt very emotionless, towards the end the way it was written got to me so l found the things which should be quite sad and should of made the reader feel something, didn't make me feel anything. 
At sometimes this book contradicted itself, at one point a character was mean't to be a person who Dante didn't get on with then 5 minutes later they are having a heart to heart, l just didn't get it! Once this had happened l was more fussy and picked up on other things which got to me. The unrealistic parts in this book annoyed me. If a life changing thing happened would you just carry on like nothing happened? Well characters in this book did and seemed to with ease.  I then got a bit frustrated with how the baby (l think around 2) seemed to be able to talk so well and understand a lot, the things the baby said l felt they wouldn't ever say. 
It's definitely a book that you could read if you find your distracted a lot and need an easy read as its quite easy to put down and come back to whenever. 
Overall - I wouldn't buy this book and probably won't read another by this author but l found this book ok and wouldn't want to have left it unfinished! 
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
My Next Read :
Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

~

Other reviews you might like :
Choker - Elizabeth Woods (By Forever Young)
Crusade - Linda Press Wulf (By Books Are A Girls Best Friend)
~
Please email me with a review if you would like it here {I can't guarantee}
~
Thanks for all the comments, l will make sure l visit everyone's blog!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Jodie! My school library have just ordered this in so I'm considering whether to reserve it or not. I've heard some glowing reviews and others like yours. It's interesting what you say about the writing, I usually don't like simple writing but I think I'm going to give it a try. Are you reading Unearthly through NetGalley? Also, thank you so much for linking to my Crusade review, I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. I bought this and it's sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me. Maybe I'll take it to work and read it in my lunch breaks if it's easy to put down then I won't feel like I'm wasting my precious reading time. Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being honest, l was very negative in this review but its not at negative, not at all! l did enjoy it, just not as good as l feel the blurb makes out/
    @ Stephanie - l borrowed this copy from the library, l am glad l didn't buy it and couldn't recommend buying it but getting a library copy is a good idea. l would love to see what you think so let me know if you do get it =)
    I am reading it through netgalley and your very welcome! xD Great review

    @ The Slowest Bookworm - l would give it a go, its a quick read so even if your not sure about it l doubt it will take long to read. Reading it at work might be a good idea. Would love to see what you think. l actually just read a very positive review so maybe l am being to harsh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I appreciate your honesty in this review. I haven't seen another review for this one but I liked your review, felt you made some valid points for why you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Aylee - Thank you, that really made me smile. l often feel mean or in the wrong doing a bad review when a book has so many great reviews. I just like to always be honest. Like l said, its not a terrible read and lm glad l read it. The writing just wasn't as good as l expected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous that you're reading "Unearthly!!" It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noooooo!
    I adored this!
    I get what you mean: 'at one point a character was meant to be a person who Dante got on with then 5 minutes later they are having a heart to heart, l just didn't get it!' But I still think it was brilliant :)
    But you really should try the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie, if you haven't already. You may not have liked this, but you HAVE to like that series! It's about racism and... well just read it :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Miss Remmers - It's a great read so far! Love her writing.

    @ Ria - I was very negative in this review, l mean l finished it and did read it quickly so it wasn't like it bored me! Just got to me with how some things were written.
    I may try that series if its in my library, thank you for the recommendation =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult