14.1.11

*Review* : Tricksters Girl - Hilari Bell

My Review : Tricksters Girl - Hilari Bell
Released : 3rd January 2011
Started : 11th January 2010
Finished : 13th January 2010
Plot : 3.5/5
Cover : 2.5/5
Page Turner : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Ending : 3.5/5

Over-all Rating - 

Photobucket

The Blurb :
Something bad is happening to the world. Trees are dying. Cancer is on the rise and becoming more aggressive. Kesla saw that first hand as she watched her father die from the disease. Science offers no answers.
Then fifteen-year-old Kelsa meets a boy. He's the most beautiful boy she's ever seen, but he's also very strange. He claims to be Raven, the mythological creature. He keeps going on about magic and an impending ecological disaster and insisting the Kelsa must help him save the world.
Maybe he's crazy.
Or maybe he's telling her truths people have forgotten. And maybe she should help him, even if doing so means risking her own life.

My Review :
I have so much to say about this book, l have a whole list of notes written that l started to write after l had read the first chapter. Before l start my review l have to say l didn't expect much from this book, the cover doesn't grab me at all BUT this book was a nice surprise. Even if l didn't always enjoy the concept of it, its a thought out book!
Oh and also before l start, just to get it out the way, l was often annoyed but the constant exclamations being used. Yes l use them lots but in a story they seem totally out of place being used so much.
I did warn you, l have a lot to say about it.
~
I haven't read a book in awhile that l have had a strong love and hate relationship with it and not known which one l side with the most.
First and foremost l should let you know this book is set ahead of time, around 2086 l think it said somewhere in the book. I think this is always daring because you need try to guess how advanced we are going to be by then. I think Hilari got it right most of the time and l loved nearly all of the things which she added to the world which Kelsa lives in. 
~
Now for my thoughts. This book actually started off as a great surprise as l was enjoying it a lot, l liked how the characters were introduced and Raven had great character at the beginning and l really warmed to him. Kelsa on the other hand l felt myself getting annoyed at her, she is rather mean to her mother and as l am very close to my mother l didn't get how she could be like that. A bit spoilt she came across in a few chapters.
Anyway at least they had their personality's at the beginning because suddenly as the story went on the l felt the two characters lost their personality and become flat. This may have been because Hilari seemed to focus so much on the plot that the building of their characters seemed abandoned. Stuff was being repeated as well as finding myself totally lost in a few sections and not understanding what was happening at all.
~
The plot itself is the main thing which l am struggling on deciding if l loved it or hated it. It's confusing, interesting, frustrating, repetitive .. as you can see, its a lot of things! I truly don't know, l wasn't bored by the plot and its certainly a unique concept which Hilari had obviously thought into but l felt in some ways it was just too .. strange. Sometimes l connected with it and other times l didn't and its the times when l didn't connect with it when l am thinking "Please make Raven and Kelsa a bit complex!'. I honestly still don't know where l stand, l actually feel confused!
~
I guess at the end of the day my final verdict comes down to if l will read the next in the series. Yes. Just because l want to find out what happens as l am a nosey person but l won't be a rush to read the next one. Being honest though l would probably be satisfied with reading someone's review which tells me what happens next.

Thanks Netgalley/Houghton MifflinHarcourt
******************************************
My Next Read : Once a Witch - Carolyn MacCollough
~
Other reviews :
Twenty Boy Summer - Sarah Ockler (365 Days of Reading)
Ink Exchange - Melissa Marr (Books are Like People)
I so recommend you check out this post by Small Review, what a fantastic blogger which l am sure will bring laughter to your day!~
Please email me with a review if you would like it here {I can't guarantee}
~
Make sure you check out my giveaway.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, how frustrating that the characters didn't consistently have strong personalities. I mean, that would annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this one waiting to be read...I'll get to it one of these days :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Aylee - It was annoying but still in a way this book kept me entertained!

    @ Sonya - Hope you enjoy it when you get to it =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult