22.1.11

*Review* : Once a Witch - Carolyn MacCullough

Review : Once a Witch - Carolyn MacCullough 
Released : 14th September 2009
Finished : 18th January 
Series : #1
Source : Brought
Plot : 4.5/5
Cover : 4/5
Page Turner : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Ending : 4.5/5
Over-all Rating - 

Photobucket

The Blurb :
Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all. This is a spellbinding display of storytelling that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.
My Review : 
I brought this book to read as l had the second book to review called Always a Witch (Not yet released). l never like to read a book which is second in the series before having read the first book because l hate missing out on a good book and would never read the first book after reading the 2nd already.
Anyway, my thoughts -
Carolyn is a new author for me and l am glad l have found her, l love the way she writes, her writing style makes the book constantly interesting and great to read. This book is also one of my first (if not my first .. can't remember) book which l have read that focuses so much on the magic that the characters hold. I was a bit nervous this would be too unrealistic but actually you quickly get dragged into the world which is created and start to believe this world really exists.
I love how the book started off and Tasmin introduced me to her world and that she felt a very normal girl. 
The characters and their relationships are fun to read about, l especially loved the relationship between Tamsin and her sister. It is so similar to real sister relationships out there (mine included with my sister!)  but has the added factor of the magic in the family which makes it very funny to read about. You find the characters themselves and the relationship between other characters changing as the story goes on and bonds between characters are quite out of the blue! The complex connections and ties between different people in this book makes for an interesting 'community' within the book and more so because of the different opinions with the characters hold about their family. 
As well as many of the bonds between the characters coming as a surprise the main storyline within this book was not expected. I thought l had a idea of how this book would turn out but l was totally wrong with new twists coming up in this book constantly. It really is a book which you can't get bored reading. 
The talents which Carolyn included in this book was great, l loved every single one of them and some were a very clever idea . 
I was excited to start the second book, Carolyn really leaves you with a cliffhanger in this book and l would very much recommend it, it's so close to being a 4.5.
******************************************

Currently Reading -

My Next Read :
Always a Witch- Carolyn MacCollough
~
Other reviews :

A Brush of Darkness - Allison Pang (All Things Urban Fantasy)
Vampire Beach 1 - Alex Duval (Delusional Y/A Reviews)
Please email me with a review if you would like it here {I can't guarantee}

10 comments:

  1. I liked this one, but loved Always a Witch! I hope you will love it, too :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aleksandra - l have started it and love it so far! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review! I've seen this book around but never read a review bout it till now! It makes me want to pick up the book already. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! I'm putting this on my reading list. The cover looks cute and so does the second book's cover:) I didn't even know that Always a Witch was a second book. Good thing I know now!
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this one too, as I have Always a Witch in my review pile. I'm glad you enjoyed it, it makes me feel better about reading it! :) Great review, Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the cover for always a witch! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been thinking about reading this one. The characters sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a while since I read this one, so its good to refresh a bit cuz I wanna read Always a Witch too.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had this one on my wishlist only because the cover of Always a Witch looks gorgeous. It's nice to see the first book is actually really good though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Naj - Hope you get to read it soon!

    @ Danna - l didn't but l always add the books to my Goodreads and l seen it on there! Glad you know now =)

    @Amber - l hope you enjoy them as much as me, worth a read for sure!

    @Carrie - me too! Its definitely better than the cover for Once a Witch

    @ Aylee - Hope to see what you think of this series soon!

    @Brandi - I am terrible with forgetting about books so glad its reminded you. Always a Witch is SO good so far!

    @ A Canadian Girl - The cover is as good but it is a good book! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult