28.3.11

*Review* : The Body Finder - Kimberly Denting

Review of The Body Finder by Kimberly Denting
The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)Released : 11th November 2010 (UK)
Finished : 22nd March 2011
Source :  UK Book Tours
Plot : 5/5
Cover : 4/5
P
age Turner : 5/5
Characters : 4.5/5
Ending : 4.5/5
Overall Rating :
Photobucket


Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.
Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
l work hard to make my reviews non spoiler reviews. Please email/comment me if you feel a review has a spoiler in it and you haven't been warned.
This is one of those books l would have never read if it wasn’t for all you bloggers and it’s definitely one of those books which makes me have even more faith in your amazing taste, my fellow bloggers!
I actually, not long ago, finished ‘Deadly Little Secret’ and l absolutely loved how it included chapters from the stalkers point of view. For a lot of Deadly Little Secret' l found myself looking to see how far it was until the next chapter by the stalker. Now, not much longer ‘down the line’ l find this gem of a book which also has a chapter every now and then from the POV of the murder. I really have fallen in love with this way in which a book is written and Kimberly did it great. It really adds to the mystery of the books and doesn’t really give many clues away at all but instead just makes you ask more questions. 
Anyway, this book starts in quite a calm way which l liked as l got to know Violet and straight away fell in love with Jay. Not long after the action picked up quickly and l was totally engrossed in this book! What l mostly loved is it’s not all about Violets ‘powers’ but also has a few interesting relationships in this book. I found the relationship with her parents an interesting one which felt very thought through by Kimberly. And then of course there is the relationship between Violet and Jay which takes a very front seat in this book (and l hope continues into the second book)
Violet felt like a very normal girl who l am sure a lot of people will feel like they can relate to with her problems (not her powers!) I have seen some people felt she sometimes made silly decisions which l do agree with but then l think maybe you would with how Violet felt. I think Kimberly did amazing to understand how someone in that situation would feel.
I am excited to read Desires Of The Dead but l do fear it will not be as good as The Body Finder, l just feel that this book ended in a great way. We will have to see though!
There is just one reason why it's not 5/5 and is instead 4.5/5 and that's just because l felt a relationship in this book changed too easily and l like to see and feel things are a bit more 'real' which l felt Kimberly did all the way through the book till then. (Explained below,spoiler)
Overall l would really recommend this read to everyone. I feel some scenes may not be suitable for much younger readers (10/11) and l was certainly on edge at points and wouldn’t have wanted to read at night by myself (l am often called a wimp though)
If you haven't read this l recommend reading half the blurb, l didn't read the other half and l am glad l didn't, it lets you know the half of it!


SPOILER BELOW 
*For me, the changed between Violet and Jay going from best friends (since they were VERY young) to boyfriend and girlfriend seemed so quick and they just didn't have any awkward moments. I kind of felt Violet should have thought something more than relief (as she had wanted this for a while*

******************************************
2011 Books Challenges 
None
******************************************

10 comments:

  1. Great review! I just finished this book too. I enjoyed it, I liked the stalker part :) Looking forward to reading the next one. Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review !!
    I'd have loved to like this one .. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one too. I love it! I thought the chapters from the POV of the bad guy were great too!

    I <3 Jay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one, too! I completely agree--it was tough to read at night! :P
    I did love the romance, though! Bummer that you didn't like it as much. I'm a sucker for the friends-to-more-than-friends types of romance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Glad you liked it- great review. I'm planning to start this as soon as I've finished reading 'Lost Saint'. I ordered 'Deadly Little Secret' off Amazon just a week ago as well so really looking forward to reading that one as well now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've yet to read this one, but I've seen so many good reviews for it! I'm so glad you enjoyed it...I need to push this up on my queue :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one too! I haven't read Desires of the Dead yet but I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this another that I'm going to have to save until I have company? LOL Either that or I'm going to have to start sleeping with the lights on permanently as I'm reading far too many scary books at the moment.

    I am looking forward to getting stuck into this one though. Sounds like an excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna - Glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to read Desires of The Dead =)

    Elodie - Everyone has different tastes =)

    Lauren - l do usually too! l felt it happened to easily.

    Sally - Deadly Little Secret is AMAZING! You have two great books to look forward to ;)

    Karen - Haha maybe! l am a wimp though. Enjoy it =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult