18.3.11

E Reader vs Paper/Hardback - Part 1

I have so much to write for this discussion so l am going to do two parts for this discussion! Today l am going to do the positive's of e-readers and why, for someone people, they are better.
In the last few discussions l have wrote my opinion then put everyone else's
pollcode.com free polls
Do you prefer me talking about my opinions and everyone else's opinion together?
Yes No   

Review Books
A lot of books which bloggers get for review books are E books and the only way to get around this is read on the laptop or have an e reader. I have experienced reading on my laptop and although it wasn't as bad as l thought, my eyes did hurt and l just couldn't get comfy! 
E readers give you the ability to sit or lay down with no big laptop near you! 
Yiota from Splash of Our Worlds said - I use the E-read only for books from NetGalley,etc.
.
Cheaper
SOME e books are cheaper than PB/HB books and although you don't actually get a physical book to read, sometimes buying an e book version of a book and spending less on it means you can buy books you are a bit unsure about. 
Yiota said - There are times i'm not sure about a book and i really don't wanna spent my money on it. So i get the e-book (since they are cheaper) and give it a try.
Sally said - If the kindle edition is cheaper, I'll get that. 

Easier to read
As much as l love reading from PB/HB books l don't think anyone can say they are easier to read from than a e reader! You could easier read with one hand with an e reader which for some people may make it a lot easier and a big plus! I can get so much more comfortable with my kindle than l can with a book!
Sally said - I can easily read one-handed, or lying on my side without having one side of a page which is more difficult to see. 
.
Font size
For lot's of people, including me, being able to change the size of the font to make it easier to read is a BIG plus. I got a lot of headaches so have to be very careful, being able to make font bigger means l am less likely to get a headache! Also for lots of elderly people it will mean being able to read books easier.

Karen from The Slowest Bookworm said - For the actual reading experience I prefer my ereader - just because I can make the fonts and linespacing bigger and easier to read.
.
Get the book there and then.
I am unsure as to whether this is a big plus for me, as another person said, l LOVE recieving a book in the post and waiting for you (although sometimes its a long wait). 
Sally said -  If you're ordering a new book from Amazon it is sent to you bang on the publication day- you don't have to wait 2/3 days for it to be delivered by post. 
.
No Damage
Well unless your like me and fall on it(!) you don't have to worry about damage. E books don't get damaged and therefore can be read comfortably! If your anything like me l hate damaging my books and can never totally relax when reading as l don't want to crease the spine or damage it in any way! 
Jackie from Books n Tea said -  I don't have to worry about breaking spines or pages.
Thinking Cat from Cat's Thoughts said - They're huge (HB books) and I'm always worried about damaging them.
.
More Space!
Whether you are travelling or don't have much room, an e book reader solves your problems! For people who are lucky enough to go on holidays then you don't need to take a bag full of them, your e reader will do ;)
Jackie said - The e-reader helps prevent anymore book piles. Over the summer, I flew back and forth between Michigan and Wisconsin, I lugged with me all seven Harry Potter books...in hardback.  That was heavy as you can imagine.  
.
Light
I don't really bother carrying a book around with me if l am not sure l will get a chance to read it but with a e reader they are so light it won't make much difference! This may be a big thing for people who travel back and forth between work and also have random chances to read. 
Kavyen from Reading Between Pages said - Lets say, I go for my doctors visit and there is a huge wait time, I can just continue reading from where I left.
.
.
Statistic
Thanks SO much everyone for helping me do this post by letting me know your opinions! l did have to cut some things out from sentences because this post was so big, hope you all don't mind!
Also not everyone who filled the form out is in this post, you will be in next weeks!

Thank you - 
Chloe - YA Book Lover
Jackie - Book n Tea
Thinking Cat - Thinking Cat
Small Review - Small Review

14 comments:

  1. Well, this is all great feedback. I've noticed some e-books aren't much cheaper, only those that are self published. But my Kindle is much easier to travel with.

    Thanks for including quotes from some of my favorite book bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great to read, I've been thinking about saving up and purchasing a kindle because I like reading from Netgalley but I hate reading on the computer. That really helped me in my decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, thank you for this post! I don't really know if i want to covert to e-book-hood, but there really has been positivity about it :) Maybe... someday xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought it was easier to read at reader. Now, it was mentioned it might be sometimes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missie - That is true! In next weeks post l will be mentioning how, a lot of the time, PB are cheaper! =)

    Jess - Kindle is great and l think because of how it looks like real paper as much as it could, it makes it a nice reading experience =)

    So glad you all liked this post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes paperbacks are cheaper quite a lot of the time. I've just done a big Amazon order of paperbacks - all of which were either not available on Kindle or where cheaper than the Kindle versions. That is something I totally don't understand as SURELY it's cheaper to produce an ebook?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Karen - It must be cheaper to produce an e book, ALOT! There was a big 'kick up' about it with Michael Mcintyre's book as it was a lot more expensive in kindle format. I just don't get it. A lot of people said about it in the form and l totally agree, will definitely be in next weeks post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought I'd buy an e-reader, but I did and I love it! I read one or two books from Netgalley on my PC and it was too much eyestrain, but the e-reader is perfect!

    That said, with my Sony reader, I'm finding that a lot of books are not widely available. I tried to buy an eBook of The Hunger Games yesterday, and couldn't find one anywhere. I thought that such a popular book would be easy to get, but no. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. There really are many positives about using an e-reader. I never thought much about the "durability" while reading, but I would like that a lot. I'm crazy obsessed with keeping my books pristine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When read the first part where we all chimed in forgot about keeping books in pristine condition, for me that is easy as have nice shelves and am always easy on my books anyway... The EReader just makes it a sure thing, if you have a digital book you cannot "wreck" it like covers on a Hard Back or the spines and pages on a Paperback!

    However since chiming in have read more on my Kindle than out of my book shelves so am getting hooked more and more on it each day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my Kindle - I love being able to read it in bed. Lol BUT I do miss paperbacks sometimes, so I still end up buying both types. Usually just depends on the prize :) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leanna - l never thought l would either but also love mine! =)
    That is strange, l would of thought there would be one. That said, not all books are put in e book format.

    Small Review - l am the same with keeping book in new condition!

    Jackie - Haha l got hooked more and more each day!

    Donna - I am the same, l love my kindle but l do always want to read PB/HB too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult