25.3.11

E Reader vs Paper/Hardback - Part 2

      Part 2 (Part 1 link below)
So last week l did a discussion on the advantages of having an e reader. Sorry l put Kindle vs PB/HB in the title! It was because l have a kindle but l had mean't to put E reader. Anyway, onto the advantages of Paper/hardback books. 

Damage
My Thoughts :
Although with an e reader you don't have to worry about actually damaging the book itself, it is a worry with an e reader that it could break. For example l accidentally fell on my kindle (don't ask!) and broke it, with HB/PB you don't have to worry about that. Can you seriously imagine putting your e reader in your pocket like in the kindle advert? I would sit on it! You can put it in your bag and not have to think "Will it break in there?". Yes you can get cases, which l actually need to do, but it is still a worry (for me anyway). 
Others Thoughts
Sally from Always Lost In Stories said -  Also still haven't bought a cover for my kindle yet, so I'm too terrified to take it out of the house in case it gets damaged or scratched up in my bag! 

Relaxing
                                            My Thoughts :
l actually put in the e reader post how e readers are easier to read. Which they definitely are because you can read them with one hand without struggling to turn the page. With a book you can't BUT l have always felt nothing beats laying down with a book in bed or out in the sunshine. Sometimes it's nice to get away from technology.
Others Thoughts :
Chloe from YA Book Lover said - Books are supposed to be relaxing -  you curl up on the couch with them. I don't see myself curling up on the couch with an e-reader. It seems too electronic.
Kavyen from Read Between The Lines said -  Nothing like lying on my couch with a warm cup of green tea and reading a mystery fiction book.


Sense's
I never thought of it this way before but it may be why l find paper books more relaxing. With a paper book you are feeling, seeing and smelling it. A lot of people actually mentioned in the form about the smell of a book!
Others Thoughts :
Yiota from Splash Of Our Worlds said - A reader can't give you the feeling of holding a book. The smell, to see how big it is and look happy, the beautiful covers and binding,the yellow, from the reading, pages.
Kate from That Book Blog said -  I love holding a book in my hands when I read it, I love the smell of dusty old books, I love sitting on the floor of bookshops reading blurbs until I find the right one. 
Jackie from Books n Tea said -  I do like feeling the pages between my fingers and the occassional sniff of the book.


Lending/Swapping 
                                                                                                                   My Thoughts : 
I swap a lot of books, l actually never keep a book (Apart from one in the past) because l would rather have unread books on my shelves than read books. I swap my PB/HB books but with my kindle l can't swap my e books. This is quite a big disadvantage for me as swapping books saves a lot of money.


Others Thoughts : 
Small Review from Small Review said - Lending capabilities and standardization (some e-books only work on certain readers) are two biggies for me. (Disadvantages)

Covers
                         My Thoughts : 
For me, a big thing with e books is how you don't get to enjoy the beautiful covers like you can when you get a PB/HB book. An e book can't sit on your shelf looking pretty and waiting to be read! Instead they are just some ink on your e reader. I absolutely love covers and l know the blogging community does because of the meme like Cover Crazy. 


                           Others Thoughts : 
Chloe said - Personally, I am a huge sucker for pretty books
Sally said -  If the cover is simply gorgeous I'll have to own the book for the artwork!


Cheaper
My Thoughts : 
After mentioning how e books are cheaper than PB/HB books some people commented on how this isn't always true. They were very right! For some crazy reason, sometimes, e books can be quite a bit more than the books. For me l find this strange, l can not imagine buying an ebook instead of PB when they are the same price! Especially as with a PB/HB you can swap them for other books. I think this can be a big disadvantage if you are no longer wanting to buy PB books. 
Others Thoughts :
Karen from The Slowest Bookworm said - Usually depending on which is the cheaper edition and it's NOT always the ebook which is cheaper!



Excitement
                                                   My Thoughts :
I love the feeling of waiting for a book in the post, getting a book and not being sure which one it is. Is it the one which a friend sent me? Is it the one which l swapped or brought? Is it the one l am getting for review? Ye, you get my point! When l buy off Amazon for my kindle l never get this excitment, to be honest l don't get any feeling!


Others Thoughts :
Kate said - More pleasures that come out of owning a physical copy of the book: having it arrive at your house after waiting a few days.
.
Statistic


Thank you - 
Chloe - YA Book Lover
Jackie - Book n Tea
Thinking Cat - Thinking Cat
Small Review - Small Review

Next week l am doing blog hop so no discussion!
I do have a form for the next discussion which will be posted on 8th April - 
The next discussion is about how many books you read at one time. I know some people will only ever read one and others can be reading 3 at a time. PLEASE let me know your thoughts

7 comments:

  1. Fab post!

    I have only had my Kindle a week. I still prefer my PB/HB books to ebooks. But I am enjoying the very cheap books that are available in Kindle. Being in UK its very expensive to get indie books shipped here so that was why i bought my kindle to enjoy more books. But nothing beats curling up in bed with a book. I love the smell of books old and new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say i feel the excitement part that much since i'm always worried in case the book get lost in the mail. Hahah!

    And i filled up the next form too! I really like those posts!:D Thanks for doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books, and I can't imagine myself with only an e-reader. I don't own one, and I'm not looking for one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great perspectives! I love both of these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for including me again! These discussion posts are a lot of fun to read. I like how you have your opinion and then readers' opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siobhan - I so agree, l love the cheap books on amazon!

    Yiota - Haha there is that too! Is it very rare for it to happen here though so l don't worry too much. Thanks for filling the forms out! Glad you enjoy them.

    Abeautifulmadness - I used to think that! l have one now but l go through phases of loving it and not.

    Cat - Makes these posts so worthwhile when everyone likes them =)

    Small Review - Thank you for filling the form out, makes it interesting when l have all your opinions =)
    I thought it would be better if l separated my thoughts and everyone else's a little so thanks for the feedback1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love these posts of yours.. Always glad that I can voice my thoughts through your informative posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult