11.3.11

Discussion Post - Colums/Sidebars on blogs.

Sorry for not doing this post earlier! 
I know this is a lot of writing so l have tried to divide it  into sections for your interest, let me know if there is another way that you would like me to organise the posts. 
As before with my previous discussion this is NOT aimed at any bloggers and the opinions here are mine and of the other bloggers (their name is mentioned along with opinions)
.
For me l have always tried to be quite picky with what l put on my sidebars, l would love to have blog buttons from all the blogs which l adore and check daily but there would just be too many, instead l try to do little things like link to other peoples reviews at the end of each review just to show my support to other blogs.
   Slowing computer/laptop/net down
My main reason for this is because l don't want to slow peoples net down. Mine is fast so l have never actually realised how crowded blogs/sites can slow a laptop down because their net or laptop is a bit slower than others. Round my boyfriends l have to be so careful with what l go on because his internet is very slow, especially when he is on his ps3. The world ends when his online game crashes!
I asked in my form (which l did to gain your opinions) 
'Do you avoid blogs because it slows your computer down/you dislike how it has too much on the siderbars' 
Out of the five wonderful bloggers who filled the form out, 3 out of 5 said yes. 
Jackie from Books & Tea  said 'I don't care for columns that are graphic or widget heavy.  It bogs down my computer soooo much that it causes my browser to freeze up or lag'
.
Karen from The Slowest Bookworm said 'I don't like too many flashing/moving pictures (that really slows my computer down)'
.
Small Review from Small Review said 'I don't like those countdown widgets or Goodreads/Library Thing/Shelfari bookshelf widgets. Those kinds of widgets slow my computer down and look cluttered.'


Losing interest
Secondly l feel and try to have things in my columns that others will find interest (well l hope so!) and are things l want to search with others. My currently reading means the readers of my blog can see what book l am going to be reviewing soon as well as giving new readers a quick insight to what l am into reading. I do feel if things are crowded too much then people don't look at any of it whereas if they are just bits of information here and there readers are more likely to take an interest. Also l feel really really empty sidebars can make a blog look too plain. 
I feel that by having the right amount on your sidebars which are neat will mean people want to keep coming back to your blog. 
The sidebars looking neat seems to be important for most bloggers - 
Karen said - I like to see some things in people's sidebars as long as it looks neat and tidy and doesn't seem like the author of the blog has tried to squash too much into too little a space.'
.
Misha from said My Love Affair with Books - I don't like disorganized columns but I like it when there are lots of links and other book related stuff included in the columns. When I come across a blog for the first time, I like to explore it a bit and things in columns always attract my attention. As long as the columns look tidy, I don't mind lot of things in the columns.


Thinking Cat from Thinking Cat Said - Overall, I think it matters most how well they are organized, if I can find what I'm looking for, and how it looks with the rest of the layout.  





The positives of sidebars/columns -
I do believe there is a lot of positives about having a busy, but not too busy, sidebar. It can keep the readers interested with pictures, can help readers find you on other sites such as twitter and can also offer easy ways to find giveaways etc.

Small Review said 'I don't like many things on sidebars, but I do think they can be helpful for navigation. 
I like it when bloggers include their archive with links to each of their previous posts. A search box and link to their profile are also very helpful. If the blogger is hosting a challenge, then it's very helpful to have a link to their challenge page (guidelines, review submissions) on one of their sidebars. Same applies if they're running some event (giveaway, active discussion, etc). Blog post links with a picture always catch my eye (like the "most popular posts" widget). A well-organized label list is also very helpful. Also make sure the follow button is there and visible! It doesn't do the blogger any favors to have their follow button hidden at the bottom of their page.'
I really agree with this, l like being able to find links to other posts and l actually feel having a quick link to a giveaway is easier for people so l have started to do this! Another thing which is very important for me is the follower box, new followers won't want to be searching for it for 5 minutes.

Misha said -  I like it when there are lots of links and other book related stuff included in the columns. When I come across a blog for the first time, I like to explore it a bit and things in columns always attract my attention.
I agree! Some blogs can be plain if they are too empty and things on the sidebars can attract me to a blog too.

Karen said -  I do like links to Goodreads/Twitter/Facebooks as I like to follow my favourite people on there too.  I also like pretty book covers so I love when people put up what they are currently reading/new releases/books awaiting release.  All prettiness to me.
I think me and you, Karen, are suckers for prettiness! lol l also like to follow on twitter and goodreads!

Thank you!!!
Thank you to the following bloggers who took the time to fill the form out and let me know their opinions on this topic. 

Thinking Cat - Cat's Thoughts
Jackie - Books & Tea

Next Discussion 
Kindle VS Paperback Books
 PLEASE fill it out and let me know your thoughts if you have time!

6 comments:

  1. It was nice reading the post. For every comment i was trying to compare my sidebars. I think i'm doing good so far :P
    And yeah i agree that some blogs have so many widgets and pics or they are not tidy, that makes the reading difficult. Sometimes i just stop visiting blogs, cause the sidebars are annoying and confusing and i can't even concentrate on the blog itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great discussion post! I agree with a lot of the comments because I like sidebars that are interesting and have useful information but aren't overly cluttered. I love blog and challenge buttons because they're so pretty but I think it's much better when they're displayed in a slide show because that way they can still be seen but they don't make the blog look too busy. This post has really got me thinking about my sidebar, I need to review and make some changes to it so all the comments and opinions are very helpful :)

    I'm looking forward to the kindle v. paperbacks discussion. I would fill in the form but I don't have a Kindle yet, although I'm hoping to get one for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your post and rearranging/removing/adding stuff to my sidebars lol. Great post Jodie. Going to fill out your form now for next week's discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments Jodie !! It's really nice =) !! I love reading your reviews too and thanks for voting on the poll !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good discussion. I am looking at changing my blog design and I am glad I read this post. I have a better clarity of what should be there and what should not..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you again for including my comments! I really love this feature you're doing. It's wonderful to see bloggers opinions.

    I like seeing where other people agree with me, but I also love seeing alternative view points. There are so many views I might never even know to consider if it weren't for posts like this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult