4.3.11

Discussion Post - The Importance of Pictures

This is not aimed at any person/blogger, l myself follow blogs which don't use pictures and still enjoy them!
Importance of pictures


This discussion came up after writing a post the other week and not really have a certain picture to use. I usually use the book cover etc but this was a post wasn't about a certain book. I previewed the post and kind of thought it looked a bit plain and found I couldn't post it till l added a picture... even such a little picture for me made the post more ... colourful and attractive. 
I know how crazy book bloggers go for beautiful covers of books, I myself do. These books often get publicly from blogs because of how beautiful and pretty their covers are in such posts as Cover Crazy. I think this shows how important visual things are for people.
For me, l am nearly always the same (Without meaning offensive) l tend to not read a long post with no pictures in. Purely because it has nothing to even let me guess what the post is about unless l read the first few lines, a simple picture such as having the girl taking a picture along with this title tells you what this post is about. This may sound lazy but when you are following lots of blogs, most people are following at least 40. Say only 50% of them blogs have posted that day, its still 20 posts to look at! Are you going to look at the one with a picture of a beautiful book cover or one talking about a book but without a picture? You may have to research the book on goodreads as you only know some books by covers so you want to see what the cover looks like. This all takes up time, time away from blogging on your blog and time away from reading. I think it makes it harder for your reader to have to do half the work after you have done your work of writing the review/post.
Saying that, of course the content of the post is important and if it's a blog l love to read or the post looks interesting l will still read it =) Pictures adds a big plus for me but it isn't all about pictures. This post is in no way saying that. 
Now this is just my opinion so l thought l would email some of the lovely bloggers which l know and follow and ask them!
Here are some things which were said (thanks everyone for your reply)
Click HERE to see everyone else's thoughts!

.

YOUR THOUGHTS
Momo from Books Over Boys actually mentioned about how she always posts pictures in her posts 
'I try to include an image in all of my posts. I think without them, the posts become a little boring to read because then it's all just words and I don't think anyone would really want to read it.' 
I am exactly the same and very much agree! 
.
Theresa from Fade Into Fantasy mentioned how it isn't just book reviews which look nice with pictures.
Theresa said - In non-book related posts, a picture still grabs the reader's attention.
.
Katie from Call Me Crazy actually stated an interesting fact about how you can have too many pictures. 
Katie said- Overall I think pictures are wonderful in posts, as long as there aren't so many that's it's cluttered or overwhelming. 

Karen over at The Slowest Bookworm said - I tend to not stay and read without something pretty to look at
.
Importance of Books Covers In Posts-

Leanna from Daisy Chain Book Reviews said - Yeah, it definitely appeals to me if bloggers include a picture of the book with their review. It's nice to have a visual aid to break up lots of text, and also I love book covers. 
I agree, lots of text in front of you can be daunting! 

Momo said - I think it's necessary to include the image because maybe sometimes people won't remember the title but they'll remember that the cover looks like this or like that so when they go to a bookstore, it will trigger in their mind that a specific book cover.
.
BUT (and l agree)
.
Momo said -  If the book sounds interesting to me, then whether I like the cover or not, it doesn't matter. If the cover's extremely gorgeous, then it's just a plus for me! 
Well said, book covers are gorgeous but don't say whether a book is great or not!
.
.
Small from Small Review said - I rarely read a review if it doesn't have pictures. I’ve actually only made exception for two bloggers. I’m a very visual person and I feel disconnected from a post if it’s all text.
I have to say, l am the same and l don't think we are the only ones.
.
Theresa said - Personally, I like pictures in posts, especially book covers.  Although I hate to admit it, the cover is what draws me in at first glance. 
Me too! Who can not be drawn in by a beautiful cover?

Katie said -  It (covers) grab my attention in my news feed and it also lets me know at first glance what book they'll be talking about. Also I think cover art is an important part of the book that helps set the tone, so I think it would be a big plus to include it. 
.
Katie did then go on to say if it's a blogger she loves she will read a review anyway!
.
KatieThough if it's a blogger whose reviews I read constantly and we have the same taste in books, I'd probably not even notice there wasn't a picture because I would be so focused on their thoughts.
.
Thank you for taking part everyone :
Daisy Chain Book Reviews 
____________________________________________________________
Next week l am doing about columns, the bit on either side of the blog (some only have one column) Click here to see what l mean when l say columns (If you don't know)
Please let me know your thoughts!!
l have done this form HERE, please take a look and fill it out if you can =) (Sorry a mistake on the form, bad english. I am tired after doing this post! lol)

13 comments:

  1. Great post, Jodie! Love the fact that you did your research and got opinions of other bloggers. Really helps give the topic some depth. Thanks for including my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great post and I totally agree with Theresa that its fab that you researched and got other peoples opinions too.

    As I was one of the bloggers who took part, you already know my views ... I love pretty pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like pictures, esp book covers in IMMB, but its not a deal breaker. I have my sites I visit every day, I return visits from those who comment on me, and I try to do a few random off of google reader too.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that pictures make the post more attractive.But like Katie said, if it's a blog I read everyday, I won't mind the lack of pictures. Personally, I feel the actual content of the post is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting everyone!
    Thanks for emailing me back with your opinions both Theresa and Karen =)

    @Brandileigh - l agree! l love them with IMM posts! Oh l am the same, l still look at posts with no pictures .. l just think it makes a post more attractive =)

    Misha - I don't mind lack of pictures .. especially if it's a blog l love. But l think l am more likely to follow a blog if they have visual 'aid' along with a post. Not all posts have to include pictures .. like you said .. the content is more important

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I loved reading everyone's thoughts.

    It looks as if pictures are the way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this discussion post turned out! It's so interesting to see the variety of viewpoints all together like this. I hope you continue with this feature.

    Thanks so much for asking me!

    Also, nice pictures you included in the post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pictures in posts, I use them all the time! When I did a blog rating thing they said I had too many. I ignored them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an awesome post! I loved reading everyone's thoughts! Thank you so much for including me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult