24.2.11

*Review* : Fauxmance - Emily Franklin & Brandan Halpin

Review of Jenna & Jonah's Fauxmance - Emily Franklin & Brendan Halpin 
Released : 7th March 2011 (UK)
Finished : 24th February
Source : Bloomsbury (UK - Thank you!)
Plot : 3/5
Cover : 3/5
Page Turner : 3/5
Characters : 3.5/5
Ending : 3/5
Over-all Rating -
Photobucket
 Between teen idols Charlie Tracker and Fielding Withers—known on their hit TV show as Jenna and Jonah, next-door neighbors flush with the excitement of first love. But it's their off-screen relationship that has helped cement their fame, as passionate fans follow their every PDA. They grace the covers of magazines week after week. Their fan club has chapters all over the country. The only problem is their off-screen romance is one big publicity stunt, and Charlie and Fielding can't stand to be in the same room. Still, it's a great gig, so even when the cameras stop rolling, the show must go on, and on, and on. . . . Until the pesky paparazzi blow their cover, and Charlie and Fielding must disappear to weather the media storm. It's not until they're far off the grid of the Hollywood circuit that they realize that there's more to each of them than shiny hair and a winning smile.
.
When l started reading this book l really enjoyed it even though l definitely was more interested reading Jonah's chapters as l just felt he has a much stronger and complex character. Jenna kind of just annoyed me with her spoilt ways, well it was actually Charlie who acted like that (her real name). At the beginning it didn't annoy me which is probably why l enjoyed the first 100 pages more but after a while it started to drain me and l just wanted to say "Wake up, spoilt brat! Why are you 'snapping' that easily?". I always think if a character makes you feel this way they are written in a way which makes them feel real but l have to say, sadly, for Jenna it just didn't work. I felt she was just so spoilt and that was all that was for her. Jonah annoyed me at points but he also had a funny side and a very confident side to him which was interesting to read about. 
I think for me this was my first problem, Jenna/Charlie just wasn't explored enough, it just seemed to always be the same responses from her to Jonah. Characters in stories have to each be very unique and very explored and Jenna just wasn't explored enough for me.
Moving on, the story is quite predictable but it's one of those that is but is still enjoyable. I think that's what makes predictable books good, the fact interactions between the characters are fun to read about. Another probelm for me though was how some conversations just didn't flow. It was like someone was having a conversation and kept just saying random things. It was kinda of fun and funny to read at some points but in others it's like "What are they talking about now?" or "That felt like a pointless sentence". At sometimes l kind of just got so confused by what they were talking about l didn't even know who was actually talking.
Saying all that, l did like this book. At some points it had me laughing out loud, mostly in Jonah's chapters and l found it a nice read with a book which is focused in today's time instead of one with vampires or focused in a time 60 years from now!
Overall it's a light read which will be good to read if your feeling distracted or a good relaxing read for the beach or bed time. l would recommend it to anyone who likes fun reads which has the little twist of the romance being filmed .. l think this added to the story a lot. 
******************************************
The Poison Eaters: And Other StoriesMy Next Read :
The Poison Eaters - Holly Black
Other Reviews :
Where l Belong - Gwendolyn  Heasley  (Once Upon a Quote)
End of Days - Max Turner (Books With Bite)
By Midnight - Mia James (Always Lost In Stories)
.
Note :
 
I have decided l will rarely be taking part in Friday Hop. I will be posting a discussion instead!

7 comments:

  1. This book looks really cute and I like the pink cover. Thanks for the review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, too bad! This seems like a book that depends greatly on the characters being likable. I'm sorry to hear Jenna wasn't. I do still like the idea, so I think I'll give it a try and see if I can tolerate her. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad .. I was hoping for something better !!! I think I'll give it a try but I'll wait for the book to be cheaper I think !! Thanks for your thoughts and for mentioning my review of Where I Belong, you're so sweet ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, it's too bad you didn't find Jenna likeable. I always enjoy stories more when I feel like I can relate to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eke! Jenna sounds like a hot mess. I don't think I would enjoy her chapters that much. Still, I love the cover and title and it does sound like a fun, lazy day read. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book on my tbr/wish list. It sounds really good. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it that much. =/

    I think I'll wait a while before I read this and not rush out to read it. Maybe grab it just for something quick and light.

    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for commenting everyone =)

    Small Review - l still think its worth a read and l'm sure some people will enjoy it more than me

    Elodie - Your very welcome! I do think it's worth a read and you might like it a lot more than me =)

    A Canadian Girl - I agree, l like it when l can relate to characters!

    @ Missie - It is definitely a great read for a lazy day =)

    @The Vintage Bookworm - It's a great book to read when you want something quick and light! Also l have seen some very positive reviews on it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult