1.2.11

*Review* : Cryer's Cross - Lisa McMann

Review : Cryer's Cross - Lisa McMann
Released : 8th February 2011
Finished : 1st February
Series : Stand alone
Source : Galley Grab/Simon and Schuster

Plot : 5/5
Cover : 3/5
Page Turner : 5/5
Characters : 5/5
Ending : 4.5/5
Over-all Rating -

Photobucket

The Blurb -
The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.
My Review -
I had seen lots of very positive reviews on this book but it still didn’t grab me as a must read. To be honest l read it next because l only had 8 days left to read it and it’s a short story (240 ish pages). BUT l am VERY glad l read this and chose to read it next!!! Wow.
From the start this book is very interesting because of Kendall and how much of a unique character she is, she suffers from OCD which plays a big part in this story and is brought up a lot in the book and follows her struggle. Also because she lives in a small town it makes for very interesting relationships with characters, how these change as the story goes on and the things which she comes to realise about her relationships with people around her (Explained below but it’s a spoiler!). I did really like Kendall, l thought she was a very normal girl who l would get on with myself if she was a real person. She pretty much kept herself to herself and enjoyed doing normal things.
I had been told this was a creepy book and l am a bit of a wimp so l was scared l wouldn’t enjoy it as it would freak me out too much but being honest, if you read this in the day you will be fine! Yes it’s creepy but in the good way which keeps your heart beating fast and desperate to find out more! It’s definitely one of those books where you wish you could skip a few lines or read faster just to find out what’s going to happen!
With a book which is built up so much around one thing and finding out about the one thing, eg who is causing something, the answer to your BIG and main/only question throughout the whole book has to be a good one. I have read a few books which are so intriguing but when you read the end its kinda like, Oh. Is that it? This WASN’T one of those books! I loved the whole story behind it and felt the story is nicely wrapped up and answered all the questions which l had throughout the book.
Overall
I can’t say l was bored at any point in this story and the pages whizzed by. I am glad Lisa didn’t try to force anything else in the story just to make the book big, l sometimes feel like authors do this and some books could be half the size. You get to know each character just enough and the plot is just gripping. SO worth a read!
Spoiler Below - HIGHLIGHT TO READ.
I liked how Kendall comes to realise how her relationship with Nico was more of a friendship than a love relationship. I think this is such a big thing which lots of young people go through and really made the story feel real as this was a slow process. 
Links - 
Goodreads
Amazon (UK)
Amazon (USA)
******************************************

Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1)My Next Read :
Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton
~
Other reviews :
Leaving Paradise - Simone Elkeles (Small Review)
My Soul To Take - Rachel Vincent (Books of Amber)

8 comments:

  1. Oh Darkness Becomes Her is a great read! I cannot wait to read Cryer's cross! thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting. I've read the Wake series by Lisa McMann, and I loved it so I think I'll definitely check this out. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I actually couldn't even finish it. I guessed the Big Reveal on the first page! That put a downer on the whole thing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading this one now. I read her Wake series and liked each book less and less so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~ Kristen - Oh l can't wait to start it now!

    ~ Andrea - Should definitely check it out! Specially if you like Lisa McMann

    ~ Small Review - Oh no, l think that would ruin it as it was brilliant because of the whole reveal thing!

    ~ Canadian Girl - I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! what a relief, you're one of the many positive reviews I've seen about this book...so glad you enjoyed it. I look fwd to reading it. I'm your newest follower!

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this one too and it surprised me.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult