7.8.12

*Review* : Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) Beautiful Disaster - Jamie McGuire
Series : #1 Beautiful
Released : 14th August 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)/Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket


 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.



 .................................... My Thoughts   ....................................
In Short
- Beautiful Disaster was a hard book to put down.
- I did feel this book was a bit slow paced and could be cut down by 100ish pages. 
- I love Travis, the main guy character - So swoon worthy!
- All the characters are built very strongly and are all very unique. 

In Long
I started Beautiful Disaster hoping it would be another book which I couldn’t put down and that I was able to bond with the characters, I was pleasantly pleased that both of these happened.
So as always I will get the negatives out the way which are the reasons it’s 4.5 stars and not 5 stars. There are only a few things that I would say which stopped me from totally falling in love with this book. First off, for me, it was kind of the storyline. I felt this book could be cut down by 100 pages without really losing that much, sometimes it felt like the story was on repeat and after the second time I just wanted a big twist to come which never really came, I was never shocked or lost for words at what was happening.
The second was I found Abby a bit annoying, don’t get me wrong I loved her character but around half way through the book, sometimes she acted a bit immature and her actions were contradicting herself.
Although I felt that the storyline was lacking a bit in the shocking factor I never did know where things were going to go next, I think if things had stepped up a pace I definitely would have enjoyed the storyline even more and would have found it even harder to put Beautiful Disaster down.

The thing which won me over more than anything is the characters. By the end of this book I had felt so many emotions about the characters including; Anger, Love, Admiration, Empathy as well as had a good laugh at their actions. I just loved America, Abby’s best friend, she was everything you want in a best friend and more. Although Abby and Travis are the main characters throughout most of the book I felt America and Shepley were as important as Abby and Travis to this book and that made this book really unique to me. Not many books have such strong main characters as America and Shepley let alone characters who are the main characters friends.
On to Travis, well what can I say? He is adorable, frustrating, loving, protective, possesive; you can’t just round Travis up in one word. There are so many different sides to his characters and I liked it. I did love the bad boy side of him and even more because he also shows different sides to him. Travis and Abby together have a unique relationship which is definitely intriguing, I enjoyed watching their relationship develop with the ups and downs.

Final Thoughts
Beautiful Disaster is a great read.  I loved the twists with the Travis and Abby, their characters are both so unique with their own past, I couldn’t wait to see what happened when their life’s collided together. A touching and intense read which has so many different emotions, character history and personalities coming together to create a great read.  

4 comments:

  1. I've heard that people either loved or hated this book. Glad to see you liked it. I just received a copy for review this past week and have been looking around at reviews to see if it's my kinda book or not. :)

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few days ago I finally gave in and downloaded it from NetGalley as well and now can't wait to start it myself. I'm glad you liked it so much except for a few things. Looking forward to find out whether I'll feel similarly about it. :) Thanks for sharing!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodie this was indeed a hard to put down read, not only did I like you run the full gamut of emotions but enjoyed the way the author did not take the easy road to HEA but made it realistic and gritty instead.

    My thoughts are up today on BD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had similar thoughts about this book but only gave it 4 stars on my review. It's not one of those books that I loved but it did have some romantic value to it. Travis and Abby have almost a border line unhealthy relationship, it's odd that I was so drawn to it.
    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult