26.6.12

*Review* - Trafficked by Sophie Haye

Trafficked: The Terrifying True Story of a British Girl Forced into the Sex Trade   Trafficked - Sophie Hayes
Series : No
Released : 19th January 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins 
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)
Overall rating
Photobucket


 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
He’d been her friend for years. He said he loved her. Then she realised she didn’t know him at all…
When everything seemed to be falling apart in Sophie’s life, she was thankful for her friend Kas, who was always at the end of a phone, ready to listen and to offer comfort and advice.
Her father’s cold dislike of her and then her parents’ divorce had left her with a deep distrust of men. But, gradually, Kas made her believe there was at least one man who truly cared about her.
But she was wrong.
At first when Sophie went to stay for a few days with Kas in Italy, he was kind and caring, as he’d always been. But three days after she arrived, everything changed.
His eyes were cold as he described the things he expected her to do ‘for love’. But soon Sophie’s bewilderment turned to fear as he punched and shouted at her and threatened to kill her adored younger brothers if she didn’t do exactly as she was told…to sell her body on the streets to pay off Kas’s debts.



.................................... My Thoughs  ....................................
In Short
- Trafficked is a heartbreaking story.
- Sophie's raw emotion really came across in the book which I think will helped me become really gripped and hanging on for the next chapter.
-This book is a shocking book which I hope will raise awareness of trafficking. 
.
In Long
I don’t usually read nonfiction books but after seeing Trafficked on one of my friend’s bookshelf I was really intrigued. I was very lucky to receive a review copy from the publisher and started it straight away.
Trafficked is written in a really balanced way where it keeps to the truth but is also kind of like a story in the way that it grips you. I found myself desperate to find out what happens next, especially knowing that it’s a true story, which I had to keep reminding myself constantly because it’s just so truly shocking and dreadful. I found this book beyond heartbreaking, within the first few chapters I could tell Sophie really had poured her heart out while telling the readers her story and it really came across in every chapter. I can’t imagine how much strength it must have taken for Sophie to relive this dreadful part of her life but because of her bravery her raw emotion came across so clearly in the book that I just hope and pray that more people read Sophie’s story and more people become aware that this can happen to anyone. The most important two things I learnt from this book isn’t just that it happens to young girls in the poorer countries but in fact happens to girls from countries such as England, USA, Canada etc. Maybe I was naive to think that but I think as a young girl myself you build a barrier up around yourself so that you never believe it could happen to you. The other thing I learnt took me a bit longer to grasp but because of how much raw emotion Sophie put into this book I quickly realised how brainwashed people can become. Sophie seemed like such a strong person at the beginning but when against a beyond evil person even the strongest person can become vulnerable.

Final Thoughs
I just want to thank Sophie for sharing her story with us, by writing this book and all the things she is now doing to raise awareness of trafficking Sophie is showing the world how strong she really is.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about this, I'm really dying to read it!

    Sophie sounds like such a beautiful character, I really want to get to read her story. Usually I'm not a fan of the true-story kind of books, but this sounds too good to miss.

    Amazing review, Jodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about this book. I'm definitely looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult