11.12.10

Sarah Porter - Lost Voices

Review : Sarah Porter - Lost Voices
Released 4th July 2011
Started : 9th December 2010
Finished : 11th December 2010
Plot : 4/5
Cover : 4/5
Page Turner : 4/5
Characters : 4.5/5
Ending : 3/5
Over-all Rating : 

Photobucket

The Blurb :
What happens to the girls nobody sees—the ones who are ignored, mistreated, hidden away? The girls nobody hears when they cry for help?
Fourteen-year-old Luce is one of those lost girls. After her father vanishes in a storm at sea, she is stuck in a grim, gray Alaskan fishing village with her alcoholic uncle. When her uncle crosses an unspeakable line, Luce reaches the depths of despair. Abandoned on the cliffs near her home, she expects to die when she tumbles to the icy, churning waves below. Instead, she undergoes an astonishing transformation and becomes a mermaid. 

I feel the blurb gives so much away about the book, if you want the rest check it out here
My Review : 
This book was my first mermaid book l have read, since now l have never been interested in reading one so this book was kind of make and break for me as to whether l would be reading more mermaid books in the future.
My first thought when l picked up this book was ‘Oh no, they are using the same name for the main character as a book l have read recently’ (Fallen) This can be really distracting and you can find yourself thinking back to the other book and characters, especially if that book was a fantastic read for you. Therefore this book really needed to make Luce unique so in my mind a new individual character was created. It wasn’t long till this happened, the book quickly introduces you to Luce and shows the reader Luce’s world and feelings.
This book interested me in a number of different ways and l was able to enjoy this book because half the time l forgot they were mermaids. The friendships in this book really keeps you gripped, reading how they develop or in other cases go the opposite way of developing. Even when the life’s of the mermaids were described in detail (some bits l struggled to connect with) the world which Luce lives in starts to feel real. Another thing l love about this book is how both the title and cover relate so much to the book, the title ‘Lost voices’ really starts to mean something.
It was a shame when l got to the end of this book, not only because the book was finished but l found the ending the biggest disappointment of the book, it really didn’t do the book any justice. I thought if this book was a ‘stand alone book’ you would be left feeling very disappointed and as a book with an upcoming sequel (l believe) it really didn’t leave you desperate to read it.
The end result for me was an enjoyable read with the possibility of reading more mermaid books in the future.  
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
My Next Read :
Evernight - Claudia Gray 
More Review you might like : 
Enteral Kiss of Darkness - Jeaniene Frost (By parajunkee)
The Frenzy - Francesca Lia Block (By Katie's Book Blog)

8 comments:

  1. I have read good reviews about this one. Glad to hear you like it. I can't wait to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great read =)
    Will be looking out the for your review when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a mermaid book before. Sorry you were disappointed with the ending. Have you thought about reading Forgive My Fins? I think I've read a few good reviews on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recommendation! Just added it to my 'To be read'. Looks good =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Lost Voices in my wishlist so it's a shame to hear that the ending was disappointing. Judging by your review, I'm probably going to see if the library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ending was basically the only disappointment in the book (quite a big one but oh well)
    It is worth a read and maybe you will like the ending more than me =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lost Voices is on my wishlist so I'm glad I came across your review whilst looking at your review archive. Thank you! Did you read it through Net Galley? If you are looking for another meramid book to read, I really recommend Ingo by Helen Dunmore- all of my family LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for looking at my review archive, glad you found the review helpful! Its a good read and l did get my copy from Net Galley =)
    Thank you so much for the recommendation, going to request it from the library =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult