7.5.12

*Review* - The Breakaway by Michelle Davidson Argyle

The BreakawayThe Breakaway - Michelle Davidson Argyle
Series : No
Released : 1st May 2012
Publisher: Rhemalda Publishing
Format : Paperback
Source : Author
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
When Naomi Jensen is kidnapped, it takes her parents two days to realize she’s missing. Escape isn’t high on her list of priorities when all she has to return to is an abusive boyfriend and parents who never paid much attention to her. For the first time in her life she’s part of a family—even if it is a family of criminals. But she’s still a captive. In a desperate attempt to regain some control in her life, Naomi embarks on a dangerous plan to make one of her kidnappers think she’s falling in love with him. The plan works too well, and when faced with the chance to escape, Naomi isn’t sure she wants to take it.


.................................... My Thoughs  ....................................
In Short
- I was gripped throughout most of the book. 
- The characters were well developed and unique. 
- The first 200 or so pages were intense and gripping but the ending was a bit disappointing and not engrossing at all.  
- Naomi was a great main character

In Long
I have to admit when I first started to read The Breakaway I thought I was going to struggle to get into it. The writing didn’t flow straight away but after a few pages everything took its place and started to come together. Within a few chapters I was totally gripped. The whole storyline that Naomi has a rubbish home life along with her being kidnapped really made for a tense storyline which was so unpredictable. I never knew what Naomi or her kidnappers were going to do next and this made everything a lot more intense. I was totally intrigued!

The characters are all well developed, although it takes me a while to get to know some of them I felt they were all unique and added their own little thing to the storyline. There wasn’t really that many twists in this book but I didn’t feel it really needed them, the storyline was strong enough on its own.

One of the things which took it down from 5 stars to 4 stars is because of the ending. There wasn’t anything particularly wrong with it but I found with the last 75 pages or so I just wasn’t gripped. This felt strange as for the previous 200 pages or so I had been totally engrossed! I just felt the ending is meant to be the most intense part but it wasn’t, I was actually able to put the book down towards the end whereas I wasn’t for the first 200 pages. Also sometimes the writing seemed to fall a bit in standard and didn’t flow as well.

Final Thoughts
The Breakaway was a great read, I was gripped throughout most of the book and I loved not knowing what was going to happen next for the majority of the story. Naomi is a character I was able to emotionally connect with and feel sympathy for which was an important part of the book.

2 comments:

  1. This one has such a great premise, although it's disappointing to hear that the ending fell flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, but it's a pity the ending is a let-down :( I must buy this, the story sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult