23.12.13

*Review* Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott

HeartbeatHeartbeat by Elizabeth Scott
Series : No
Released : 28th January 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen (USA)
Format : Paperback
Source : Kismet Book Touring (Thank you) 
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)/Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
Life. Death. And...Love?
Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.
But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.
Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.
Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?



 .................................... My Thoughts   ....................................
In Short
- Heartbeat is a book with conflicting emotions.
- Although I disliked the main character is still really enjoyed the book.
- The storyline is a touching and emotional one. 

In Long
Heartbeat is a unique book which took me by surprise in a few ways. There are so many conflicting emotions and actions to deal with these emotions. It's quite a full on read in those ways.

Heartbeat has to be the first book I have read where although I disliked the main character I still really enjoyed the book. Well, I don't know if dislike is the right word, it's hard to express my feelings for Emma in even a few words. She's a character who is struggling with the loss of her mother so therefore I definitely gave her the benefit of the doubt for most part of the book. However at some points I found myself falling out with her and feeling very negative towards her. I found her actions very much focused on what she believed and felt instead of opening her mind to her step dad's thoughts. I think this is one of the main reason I became to enjoy Heartbeat, although it isn't gripping in a thriller sense it's engrossing as Elizabeth makes Emma's actions so unpredictable you want to see how she's going to act next.

The storyline itself is a touching one. I put myself in Emma's position a few times and this is the times I felt I understood her actions more. Her grief was overwhelming and definitely had a big influence on her actions throughout the read.

Final Thoughts
Heartbeat is a touching read which will leave you with conflicting feelings as well as holding your loved ones that bit closer.

Find Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you stilled enjoyed this one even though you didn't like the mc all that much. Usually if I don't like the mc, I don't like the book- so your review made me curious about this one. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult