11.12.12

*Review* - Wonder by R.J. Palacio

WonderWonder - R.K. Palacio
Series : No
Released : 1st March 2012
Publisher: Random House
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher (Thank you!)
Buy : Amazon Paperback (UK/USA)/Book Depository
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
"I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse."

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school--until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?
R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, "Wonder" is accessible to readers of all levels.


 .................................... My Thoughts   ....................................
In Short
- Wonder is a thought provoking book. 
- I really enjoyed having chapters from different people's POV. 
- I did feel that in some way Wonder should be a bit more emotional in parts. 
- Wonder is a unique story and a different sort of book from what I usually read which I enjoyed. I definitely recommend giving it a go. . 

In Long
I had heard people saying all sorts about Wonder, all good. Some people labelled it as ‘heart breaking’ others as ‘inspiring’ and ‘life changing’. As you can imagine, I was very excited to read it after reading these descriptions as I wanted to see if I felt any of these things. I did feel all three and more, some more strongly than others.

Wonder is definitely life changing, although probably not to the extreme of changing your life forever. It does however definitely make you think of life from a different point of view, at the least through someone else’s eyes whose life may not be as easy as mine has been. Wonder is also both heart breaking and inspiring. Out of the three descriptions I would say inspiring is the most accurate feeling to how I felt throughout this book and how I was left feeling. Everything about Wonder is inspiring; not just because of August’s facial deformity but because of how he deals with this and is so strong about it all.

I loved how the chapters were from the point of view of the different characters in August’s life. I felt it was an important part in me becoming so wrapped up in the story because I could see so many different sides to it and not just how it affected him but also the people around him.

For me the one negative thing about this book was although the story is heart breaking I felt this book would be one I would feel a lot more sadness about. I almost wanted it to be sadder because in real life I felt things would be all a bit more difficult. Not that I think they should be but as some points I felt August dealt with everything a bit too well, especially as his only young.
Final Thoughts
Wonder is a thought provoking book which will have you reflecting on your own life and how you deal with things yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I love the idea of this book, and I have heard MANY good things about it. I have to "wonder" whether which description would fit my feelings when i read this book.
    GREAT review, Jodie Lane!
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review! I've been a bit wary of this book, but maybe I should check it out.
    :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult