31.10.12

Guest Post - Interview with Marilyn Kaye

Please welcome Marilyn Kaye to Books for Company! 
Marilyn has kindly answered my questions, thanks so much Marilyn. A fan of White lies and Tiaras myself it's a privilege to have you on Books for Company!

White Lies and Tiaras
I love the title of the book, White Lies and Tiaras, how did you come up with this title and were they are other titles you were considering?
I knew that I wanted the title to reflect something about lying, but I also wanted something to indicate that the story revolved around a wedding. It was my editor at that time who suggested 'tiaras,' and I was a little confused at first. I'm an American living in France, and I'd never been to a wedding where the bride wore a tiara. The editor told me it was more common in the UK -- but I thought that was only for members of the royal family. But of course, that fits right on with the character Nathalie's pretentious attitude!


Did you start writing White Lies and Tiaras knowing it would be a stand alone novel?
Although it's part of the 'Ticket to Love' series, the novel was always meant to stand alone. The premise behind 'Ticket to Love' is the idea that it incorporates a romance with an out-of-town situation -- but each novel is unique, with its own characters and story line.


What part of White Lies and Tiaras was your favourite to write? Start, Middle or End?
The beginning of any novel is always the hardest part -- introducing the characters and setting up the situation in an 'active' way is never easy. It's a real challenge -- but I think that also makes it the most enjoyable part.


What do you think are the main features in a male character which makes him swoon worthy and do you incorporate this into your male characters?
Great question! I think we all have our fantasy images of a swoon-worthy man -- someone incredibly good-looking, fabulously charming, and maybe a little mysterious. But deep in our hearts, we end up falling for someone with whom we can really communicate and connect. And in my particular case, someone who can make me laugh! And I do feel like I incorporated this in my male characters. Christophe is the fantasy man for Lara; Cal is very nice but there's no real communication between him and Alice; Alice has a strong connection with Jack; and Harry makes Lara laugh.


Which do you feel is more important in a book, strong characters or a strong storyline?
Hard to say -- it depends on the type of book, I think. In some books I've written, I started with a character, and in others, with a story. With White Lies and Tiaras, the story occurred to me first, and then I tried to create characters who would react in an interesting way to the situation.


What's your favourite cover out of all your books?
I do love the simple, romantic look of the 'Ticket to Love' books -- they suggest what's inside the covers without giving anything away!

Marilyn Kaye
Find Marilyn Kaye

Buy White Lies and Tiaras
Amazon (UK/USA)

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult