30.10.12

*Review* - Blackwood by Gwenda Bond

Blackwood   Blackwood - Gwenda Bond
Series : No
Released : 4th September 2012
Publisher: Strange Chemistry 
Format : Paperback/Audio Book
Source : Publisher/Audio Go
Buy : Amazon Paperback (UK/USA)/Audio Go
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
On Roanoke Island, the legend of the 114 people who mysteriously vanished from the Lost Colony hundreds of years ago is just an outdoor drama for the tourists, a story people tell. But when the island faces the sudden disappearance of 114 people now, an unlikely pair of 17-year-olds may be the only hope of bringing them back.

Miranda, a misfit girl from the island’s most infamous family, and Phillips, an exiled teen criminal who hears the voices of the dead, must dodge everyone from federal agents to long-dead alchemists as they work to uncover the secrets of the new Lost Colony. The one thing they can’t dodge is each other.



 .................................... My Thoughts   ....................................

Audio Review 
I received an audio copy of Blackwood from AudioGo. Below is my review of the audiobook itself. Thank you to Patrick and AudioGO!! 
This was my first ever audio book (Yes, honestly!) and I was unsure about whether or not audio books would be for me. Lately I am finding it hard to find time to read so if audio books ‘worked’ for me then it could mean I would be able to read/listen to a lot more books. I started to listen to Blackwood while at the gym and I straight away found that I was able to shut the world out and focus on the audio book. I was able to get into Blackwood just as much as I do books I am reading myself and found just because it was being read by someone else to me it didn't affect me putting images into my mind about what was happening, in fact because of how Blackwood was read it helped me!
Stephanie, the voice reading Blackwood, was able to create a voice for each character. At some points I did feel that she didn't change someone’s voice enough but I was still able to follow the story well and I never lost interest.
I am really pleased that I got the chance to experience my first audio book and that I was able to get into Blackwood so easily. Thank you very much to Patrick from AudioGO. Definitely check this audio book out!


Book Review
I also got a paperback of Blackwood for review from Strange Chemistry  Below is my review and thoughts on the actual book and storyline etc. 
I have to admit that at the beginning I didn’t think Blackwood would be the sort of book I would enjoy but I was quickly proved wrong when Miranda was introduced into the story. Her character was one of my favourite things about this book. She has a really hard time but manages to stay strong and is so caring towards her father despite everything. 

Phillips is another great character. When he is first introduced to the story I had my doubts about whether I would like him but I quickly warmed to him and towards the middle of the book I found his character more interesting than Miranda's. It was nice to have two main characters who I liked and really helped me get into the book.

The storyline is one I have mix feelings about. It’s definitely a unique storyline which often had me gripped. However I never felt like it got to the ‘punch line’. It felt like there was this massive build up to something big but it kind of never happened. Nothing really 'exploded' and I was never 'WOW!'. There wasn't ever a point where I wasn't able to put the book down and I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed. 



Blackwood is a very unique read which I enjoyed. As I said above there was some points when the story got a bit slow and it never got to the point where I said 'WOW. However the two main characters managed to carry the book through the duller parts I am glad I read/listened to Blackwood. 

2 comments:

  1. I recently reviewed a paperback. It didn't hold my interest and I knocked a star for grammatical errors (which you wouldn't notice in an audiobook). I think this story might make a better audiobook than paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when narrators are able to do different voices for characters-adds so much to the feel of the thing. I liked the uniqueness of the concept, but I just couldn't get this book when reading a paperback.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult