12.10.12

*Review* The Monster Within by Lola Rayne

The Monster Within (Mounting Darkness, #1)The Monster Within - Lola Rayne
Released : 2nd October 2012
Publisher: Self Published
Format : E Book
Source : Author (Thank you)
Buy : Amazon PB (UK/USA)/Amazon Kindle (UK/USA)
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
Sometimes the monster that haunted you as a child truly is real...
All it took was one phone call to bring Nicole Jones's life crumbling down around her. Now a nightmare she thought she'd left in her past is back, and he's not exactly bringing her candy and flowers. While fleeing, in a non-terrified fashion, she meets a menacing man in a dark alley. Then promptly passes out at his feet.
Gideon Evans hasn't exactly been having the best run of luck, but all that changes when a buxom little blonde collapses right in front of him. Or at least he thinks it has. It doesn’t take him long to realize that bombshell is an appropriate description for more than just her looks. Now he's facing several problems, including a surprising enemy, his own dark past, and a rather inconvenient case of lust.
Can they work together to battle the nightmare that's chasing them? Or will they succumb to the monster within?

 .................................... My Thoughts   ....................................
In Short
- I loved the concept behind The Monster Within
- Both the main characters were characters which I liked.
- I was constantly on edge wondering what was going to happen next. 
- It's a short read but still has so much happening.  

In Long
The blurb for The Monster Within really intrigued me. I really wanted to find more out about Nicole, when I read ‘While fleeing, in a non-terrified fashion, she meets a menacing man in a dark alley.’ It made me ask myself so many questions and the only way to answer them was to read the book! I loved the idea that Nicole was fleeing in a non-terrified fashion, how is that possible and what is she fleeing from? I have to admit that although the blurb made me want to read this I didn’t realise that I would enjoy it as much as I did.

The concept behind The Monster Within is one which I straight away knew I would like. The idea that Nicole passes out in front of a stranger and together they fight against this ‘nightmare’ which is following them. There are so many twists to this storyline, it’s obviously been very well thought out because I am constantly on edge wondering what will happen next.

Both Nicole and Gideon are characters I liked. I wouldn’t say that this story is strongly character lead because it’s quite a short story there isn’t time for that. However Lola definitely created characters which were strong enough to lead the story. I didn’t bond that strongly with them but I definitely liked their personalities. Gideon is a great guy, he is definitely the type of guy who I can see myself swooning over!

I really liked how everything came together towards the end, even more so because I didn't see it coming so it there was some twists in the story. 

Final Thoughts
The Monster Within is a short book but definitely grabbed my attention. This is one of my favourite short books because of how much it manages to accomplish in such a short number of pages. 

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult