28.3.14

Dilated by Lauren Pallen Excerpt

Dilated
Dilated by Lauren Pallen

During the 1930s, I went by the name the ‘Hyena’, because hyenas crunch through bones and strip their victims clean.
“How can you be called the Hyena, when they hunt in packs?” you might ask.
Well, I was alone – I had no one to hunt with, even overlooking the fact that Demons can’t be anywhere near each other. But it was good to be called that – it got people thinking, wondering and fearing me.
The name still haunts me to this day. Ruby has no idea of what I am, however I plan to tell her tonight because it’s not fair that she should pour her heart out to me while I feed her lies about me.
I will – I am going to tell her tonight. What have I got to be afraid of? Well, apart from losing my best friend, nothing!

The Hyena. What will she think of me being a mass murderer? After my Mum and sister’s death and my Dad’s disappearing act I went off the rails, uncontrollable, vicious and the worst. So lost.
I had no one to care for me and say, “Everything is going to be alright, Anna.”
Instead I blocked it all out and took it out on helpless humans; they had no chance of defending themselves. I tore them apart within minutes. I rampaged through little villages. If I’m correct I think I once wiped out an entire town!
Thoughtlessly, I savaged my neighbors and family friends. I moved to towns and then cities. I had no remorse for what I did. I did not care if they saw me, but they never did, because it was pitch black at night. I couldn’t hunt in the light anyway, because I would burn to a crisp. But I preferred hunting in the dark anyway because it gave me more of a thrill, of the human’s hearts pounding at the thought of me. It made me want to feast more.
So I kept on going – I didn’t stop for a break. It went on for three months. I must have killed thousands of people. I loved it, I never wanted to stop! My face was covered in blood, blood running through my fingers. Best of all the warm feeling of flesh scraping slowly down my throat, of the blood pumping through my veins. It felt like I was in heaven.
What a life I had back then! I could do what I wanted, be what I wanted, and eat what I wanted.
Then it all stopped in 1931. I was on a very successful hunt. Killing, laughing, no feelings involved. Unaware, someone suddenly came up behind me broke my legs in two! Snapped my arms so they were pointing different ways and violently twisted my neck! I collapsed to the floor, my whole body like jelly, and then blacked out.

I woke up in broad daylight.
I screamed at the top of my rotting lungs. Panicking I tried to move but I was chained to a wall, with heavy, daunting chains that wouldn’t let me go. I stopped screaming by then, but I was still trying to break free from the chains.
By now I was I starting to feel my skin burn from the sun – now I started to panic. I didn’t want to die from the sun. What was going on?
Out the corner of my eye I saw some green fungi lying elegantly on the floor. As I leaned forward to get a better glance, something rushed at me grabbed my jaw and forced it open, then directly after that stuffed it down my throat.
It tasted awful; it started a fiery sensation down my throat. I tried to fight the force but it was too strong – whoever this was, wanted me so badly.
What for? I wondered to myself. Was this person playing tricks with my mind? Did they mentally what me to go insane?
As I reluctantly swallowed the fungi, the person vanished. I didn’t understand. Why wasn’t the sun affecting me now? Then I realised – this disgusting fungus was stopping me from turning to ash! There was a way I could cheat sunlight, yes! Now I could kill in both the day and the night.
Then, the figure appeared again. He hissed at me and said, “You’re never going to be killing humans ever again!”
About Lauren 

Lauren Pallen is a fifteen year-old girl with a very vast imagination, who indulges in writing as a break from reality. Since she was a child she has been creating characters in her head, including Anna Claws, the heroine of Dilated - however, she hadn't developed her into the amazing and strong character she is today... until now!

Buy Dilated
Amazon (UK/USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult