15.7.14

*Review* The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Released : 3rd July 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Format : Paperback
Source : Publisher
Buy : Amazon (UK/USA)
Overall rating
Photobucket

 .................................... The Blurb  ....................................
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

 .................................... My Thoughts   ....................................
In Short
- I really liked Kestrel and her strong mind
- A fresh and unique read for me
-  Thoroughly enjoyed getting to  know this new and different world from what I know and lived in.

In Long
Kestrel is a character I pretty much liked instantly. She is such a strong minded young lady who has compassion for others but at the same time won’t take any rubbish from anyone. I always wish I was a bit more like someone like Kestrel.

The Winner’s Curse isn't a book I would necessarily say is action packed. A lot goes on and it most definitely kept my attention throughout the book but the storyline is built on gradually throughout the book and the characters become stronger and more developed with every page. I really liked this as it felt like I was personally getting to know them, after all you don’t suddenly know everything about someone.

I liked the little twists and unique things to this book. A girl buys a guy as a slave? Don’t think I have read a book with a slave for a long time! The whole book just felt very fresh to me and it was just what I needed and in a way, totally unexpected. ! I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know about the world in which Kestrel lived in, it enthralled me. I am not usually a sucker for descriptions and can get bored easily if something is described too much but I really feel this got the right balance between not enough descriptions and too much to the point where it gets boring.

Final Thoughts
The Winner’s Curse really does have a bit of everything; romance, uniqueness, fighting, action and of course it keeps you hanging on for the next page


1 comment:

  1. Agreed! The Winner's Curse does have a bit of everything and it was such a good story to get lost into if you were looking for something like say Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone trilogy. Thank you so much for your review! Readers, don't hesitate to pick up a copy:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult