15.11.14

Excerpt : The Reckoning by Emma Jones


(The sequel to The Awakening)
By Emma Jones

Blurb
As Lauren wakes after her 21st party she's not sure if she's hungover or dreaming but then she remembers.

The necklace. 
The flashback. 
The bond. 
Daniel.

The consequences are great & details unknown. After a visit to the vampire council things settle down until vivid worrying dreams start to disrupt Lauren's sleep & life. 
The national news is filled with big cat killings but Lauren knows the truth & is being dragged into dark souls & black magic. Someone dangerous is getting into her head & her involvement with the council tests her relationships. 
How will Lauren cope? Is there a happy ending? Will blood be shed?

Chapter 1
I woke up in the lilac bedroom that all those months ago had been my safe haven. Back in the beginning when I’d first found out about this crazy vampire and witch world, the calming colours of this room and cosy atmosphere had helped me. It appeared it was now fulfilling that role again.I can’t believe only hours ago I was celebrating my 21st birthday and everything seemed so normal; now I felt different again. As I stretched, I looked out of the window at what appeared to be the setting sun. Had I slept an entire day? I scrabbled for my phone, but couldn’t find my bag, so leapt up to see the clock on the desk on the other side of the room. It was 7 p.m. I had been asleep the whole day. I walked into the ensuite and gazed at my reflection in the mirror. I felt weary and looked pale and tired. Was I actually just hung over or had I been having a weird dream?The necklace. The flashback. The revelation I had died. Oh my god, my bond to Daniel. I reached up to my neck and grasped, but there was no necklace. Maybe it was all a dream? I needed to talk to Gavin. Not caring about my appearance I ran out of the room and jumped down the stairs but stopped in my tracks as I heard raised voices.
“The council need to be informed.”“No Annalise, we need to do it now.”“We cannot have this hanging over our heads.”“This is not a bloody test project. It’s my family.”
Continue Reading 

Find Emma


It sounded like Marcus, but I couldn’t be sure and stood in the hallway, unsure about what to do. Suddenly the kitchen door flew open. Both Marcus and Alice looked stunned to see me standing there, but Alice recovered quickly. “Lauren. Hello. How are you feeling?” she said and walked towards me. “Come with me. You must be starving and thirsty. We thought it was best you slept.” I allowed Alice to steer me towards the kitchen table and sat. “Are you okay?” Alice continued. “You look rather pale. Maybe Annalise should be here.” She said looking towards Marcus,
“No. No. It’s fine. I’m fine. I just woke up a bit confused that’s all. I take it last night really happened? Am I in trouble?” I said hesitantly,
“Good god no Lauren,” Alice said quickly.
“I overheard Marcus talking to someone. You didn’t sound very happy.”
“Well um… you see Lauren; this is a very unusual situation. It will be fine but the council needs to be informed soon before they are told by someone else. There are rules we must follow. It’s nothing you need to worry about. As you are a witch, certain rules are exempt. If you had been 100% normal for want of a better word and Daniel had saved you, things would be considerably different. You are as supernatural as are we, so the council will understand our circumstances,” Marcus explained,
“Are you sure? You seemed quite angry,” I said uncertainly.
“It’s fine, honestly. It is something that needs sorting out quickly, though. The council likes to be up to speed with these sorts of developments,” Marcus said, watching me carefully.
“Are you definitely feeling okay?” Alice asked softly.
“Yes, I feel fine. Bit tired, but okay. Why do you keep asking me that?” I replied suddenly feeling irritated.
“Well, what Daniel did is not normal practice. We all know it’s possible but not many vampires have tried it. We were just a little worried you may have some lasting effects,” Alice said kindly, placing a cup of tea and some orange juice in front of me. I gratefully gulped the orange juice down; suddenly realising I was very thirsty.
“How long was I actually dead for?” I said bluntly my irritation causing my mood to dip.
“Um…I’m not sure. A minute or two.” Alice said, glancing at Marcus again.
“Really? I’m not sure you are a terribly good liar.” I smiled despite myself. “I can take the truth.”
“Lauren, it was probably 10 minutes.” Alice replied, looking worried.
“Oh my god! Shouldn’t I be brain dead or something?” I gasped.
“Well, normally yes, I suppose so. We were all very worried about you. Gavin was beside himself. You cried out for Daniel before your last breath. We weren’t sure what was going on, but we checked your pulse and there was nothing, so Daniel saved you. It took about 10 minutes for your heart to start again.” Alice said squeezing my shoulder.
“Wow…..I’m speechless. 10 minutes.”
“Are you okay? I know it must be very weird for you.”
“I think I’m fine. Well, life is never boring with you guys.” I said attempting a laugh.
“We could say the same about you.” Marcus said smiling “You keep us on our toes.”
“Oh, one more thing how did Daniel actually save me?”
“Oh…Um…Well, he had to bite you. Sorry, Lauren might be a bit too much information. You are healed, so don’t worry. God I have no idea what must be going through your head.” Alice said smiling sadly. “Lauren, I think of you like a daughter and hate to see you upset or hurt. We all care about you.”
“Thanks Alice. I’m okay. It’s just a lot to take in. If only I could share it with my friends or something. It can get a bit overwhelming.” I said wiping a single tear away. “I’m good. It’s fine,” I said briskly before getting up “I think I’ll just have a quick shower and then eat. You are right, I’m starving.” I said smiling again for Alice’s benefit.
“Ok, Lauren. I’ll make you something when you come back down.”
“Alice, where are the boys?” I said suddenly noticing their absence as I was leaving.
“They went out for a few hours. They were both pacing up and down so I told them to get some air. I’ll give then both a ring and say you are up and okay.”
“Ok, thanks Alice.”
I returned to my room marvelling at the fact I’d been without a beating heart for 10 minutes. I felt a little nervous about seeing Gavin and Daniel. Would Gavin be okay about the whole bonding thing? Would I feel any differently towards Daniel? I decided not to think about it for now and had a lovely hot shower, washed my hair and put on some clean clothes. As I bounded down the stairs for the second time it suddenly occurred to me that I was supposed to be going for a birthday meal with my family today. They must be worried. Had anyone explained my absence to them? I rushed in to the kitchen garbling to Alice about my mum and the birthday meal. She calmly explained that she had called my mum and said I was poorly and in bed, and would call them later. My mum would probably think I was hung over, but I suppose that was preferable to the truth. It was at this point I remembered I hadn’t checked or seen my phone, but Alice seemed to have pre-empted me and handed me my bag with a smile and also produced a sandwich which instantly made my stomach growl. By this time it was8:15 pm; I hadn’t eaten for over 24 hours. I sank gratefully into a chair and tucked into the sandwich, momentarily forgetting all the drama of the last few hours.
Alice watched me carefully and I wondered if she thought I was a hindrance or help to the family. Based on Alice and Marcus’ earlier conversation, I wasn’t convinced about not being in trouble with the council and hoped Daniel would not be punished in any way. As if reading my mind, Alice cleared her throat and then spoke, “The boys should be back in a few minutes. You really mustn’t worry about Daniel. Everything will be okay with the council.”
“Are you sure Alice? Marcus didn’t sound very happy earlier.”
“He is fine. Don’t worry. He was just a little annoyed with Annalise.” Alice said diplomatically.
“Why? Is there a problem?” I said wondering what I’d missed.
“Not as such. It’s just Annalise was getting a bit carried away. She finds the whole situation very fascinating. It is quite unusual you see.” Alice continued.
“Why would that annoy Marcus?” I said puzzled.
“Um….You see Annalise has loved mentoring you and having a new witch in the community is lovely for her. I think she was just getting a little carried away and wanted to use the incident as a case study.”
“What like a science project or something?”
“I suppose. You see Lauren, it is well documented that vampires can save human lives, but it is not a practice we adopted. In the past, it was expressly forbidden although the rules are not so strict anymore. Annalise finds the fact you connected so securely into a past life unusual and shows you could be a very strong witch.” Alice explained,
“So, is Emily my ancestor? Why would I connect to her now?”
“Yes, it would appear she is an ancestor of yours, and Drake is an ancestor of Daniel’s. I’m not sure why you connected now. Maybe it’s because you hadn’t seen Daniel for a while or because you have turned 21 and this is an important age.”
“Why is 21 important?” I said growing increasingly fascinated.
“Annalise said that in the past witches would have an initiation ceremony and this usually happened around the girl’s 21st birthday. This is because they were then considered a woman and able to fully commit of their own free will. I don’t know much else I’m afraid. Witchcraft and its history is not my strong point.” Alice shrugged and smiled.
“No, that’s great. Just when I think I’m getting used to everything, something else comes along and throws me. I’m surprised Annalise didn't warn me something could happen when I turned 21.”
“Yes, I’m surprised too. I think this is why Marcus was a little annoyed. He’s worried Annalise knew something might happen, but she kept it a secret. I don’t like to believe this though as Annalise is a dear friend of mine.”
“She’s a friend of mine too. She’s the only witch I know and only person I can sometimes confide in. I hope I haven’t become a scientific study to her,” I said despondently.
“I’m sure that is not the case. Annalise is a kind and thoughtful woman, and has been a close and wonderful friend to me over the years. I’m going to speak to her tomorrow once everything has calmed down a bit. As long as you are okay, Lauren, that is the main thing.”
“I’m fine. I feel even better now I understand some of it. Although I am still quite hungry,” I said smiling. “Could I have another sandwich?”
“Of course, Lauren. No problem,” Alice said looking relieved and giving me a squeeze. “I’m so glad you are okay. I really do think a lot of you.”
“Thanks Alice. I think a lot of you too.”
Alice busied herself in the kitchen and I suddenly remembered my phone again and checked my messages. I had texts from my mum, sister, and Sophie. I quickly texted them all back and tucked into my second sandwich. In an attempt to lighten the mood I asked Alice to show me some of the photos from the party, and for a brief, but lovely time, we joked, laughed, and admired the photos from my now infamous 21st birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write a little comment!

A book blog featuring Romance, Dark Romance and New Adult